Kelly

Default Cannot Protect Document

I have just installed Word 2003 and have a form I am working on. I have
inserted all of my fields onto the document. I click on Tools, Protection.
The taskpane opens, but does not allow me to click on the "yes, start
enforcing protection" button. It is greyed out.

I changed the Editing restrictions but that didn't work. I had someone else
in the department that is using the same version try it and it worked. I can
open this file into Word 2002 and it will work. I have run an office repair
and it still doesn't work. Is there some add-in I'm missing or what?

Very frustrated in Silverton. Thanks for any help you can offer.
--
I appreciate your time,

Kelly
Charles Kenyon

Display the Forms toolbar and click on the padlock button.

What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Kelly" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2003 and have a form I am working on. I have
inserted all of my fields onto the document. I click on Tools,
Protection.
The taskpane opens, but does not allow me to click on the "yes, start
enforcing protection" button. It is greyed out.

I changed the Editing restrictions but that didn't work. I had someone
else
in the department that is using the same version try it and it worked. I
can
open this file into Word 2002 and it will work. I have run an office
repair
and it still doesn't work. Is there some add-in I'm missing or what?

Very frustrated in Silverton. Thanks for any help you can offer.
--
I appreciate your time,

Kelly

As Charles suggests, if you want to protect the entire document for forms,
the easiest way is using the padlock button on the Forms toolbar. If you
need to protect specific sections, then you'll have to go through the
Protect Document task pane. You must check the box for "Editing
restrictions," then select "Filling in forms." You'll then be able to
specify which section(s) you want to protect. When you've done that, you'll
be able to click on "Yes, Start Enforcing Protection." It may appear gray,
but if you mouse over it, it becomes darker and is clickable.

"Kelly" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2003 and have a form I am working on. I have
inserted all of my fields onto the document. I click on Tools,

Protection.
The taskpane opens, but does not allow me to click on the "yes, start
enforcing protection" button. It is greyed out.

I changed the Editing restrictions but that didn't work. I had someone

else
in the department that is using the same version try it and it worked. I

can
open this file into Word 2002 and it will work. I have run an office

repair
and it still doesn't work. Is there some add-in I'm missing or what?

Very frustrated in Silverton. Thanks for any help you can offer.
--
I appreciate your time,

Kelly

Kelly

Thank you both for responding. The padlock button on the toolbar is not
active either. It seems that no matter what choices I am selecting, I cannot
get this file protected unless I open it in Word 2002.

Any other ideas?

Charles, thank you for those links. They are awesome.

"Kelly" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2003 and have a form I am working on. I have
inserted all of my fields onto the document. I click on Tools,

Protection.
The taskpane opens, but does not allow me to click on the "yes, start
enforcing protection" button. It is greyed out.

I changed the Editing restrictions but that didn't work. I had someone

else
in the department that is using the same version try it and it worked. I

can
open this file into Word 2002 and it will work. I have run an office

repair
and it still doesn't work. Is there some add-in I'm missing or what?

Very frustrated in Silverton. Thanks for any help you can offer.
--
I appreciate your time,

Kelly

Kelly

No I didn't. But what did happen is I was not able to open .pdf files that
were attached to emails. I removed Adobe and reinstalled. Did several
reboots and now it seems to be working. I wouldn't have thought they were
related, but maybe somehow they are. I can't think of anything else I did
different on my computer that would have triggered it to work.

Let me know if I can help in any other way. My email is .

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As Charles suggests, if you want to protect the entire document for forms,
the easiest way is using the padlock button on the Forms toolbar. If you
need to protect specific sections, then you'll have to go through the
Protect Document task pane. You must check the box for "Editing
restrictions," then select "Filling in forms." You'll then be able to
specify which section(s) you want to protect. When you've done that, you'll
be able to click on "Yes, Start Enforcing Protection." It may appear gray,
but if you mouse over it, it becomes darker and is clickable.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

"Kelly" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2003 and have a form I am working on. I have
inserted all of my fields onto the document. I click on Tools,
Protection.
The taskpane opens, but does not allow me to click on the "yes, start
enforcing protection" button. It is greyed out.

I changed the Editing restrictions but that didn't work. I had someone
else
in the department that is using the same version try it and it worked. I
can
open this file into Word 2002 and it will work. I have run an office
repair
and it still doesn't work. Is there some add-in I'm missing or what?

Very frustrated in Silverton. Thanks for any help you can offer.
--
I appreciate your time,

Kelly

Faisond Faisond is offline
Junior Member

I just experienced an identical problem. The fix was to exit the design mode, which I did by clicking on the "Exit Design Mode" button found in a small box in the lower right corner of the screen. This solved my problem and I was able to protect the document.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly