Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mel Mel is offline

Default Icons started disappearing from Word tool bar

I have been using Word 2003 for 5 years. Early on I created 4 macros for
the current time and dates. I put each macro on the Word document tool bar
as an icon and have been using them successfully since. I click on an icon
and it instantly puts that particular date or time on my document where I
want it.

Then yesterday, for no apparent reason, things changed. Now, when I open
either a new or an existing document one or all of icons may be gone off the
toolbar. They just disappear. The macros remain in the "Commands" section of
"Customize" but not on the tool bar. I then have to reinstall each icon on
the tool bar. I have done this several times today.

Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

With Word and Outlook closed
See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
Rename your normal.dot file to oldnormal.dot.
Rename the Word Data key -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data to OldData
Start Word.
Word will start with its default settings.
Run the organizer - ALT+F8 Organizer.
Close the file in the left window
Open oldnormal.dot in the left window.
Copy your styles, autotext, macros and personal toolbars from left to right.
Close the organizer
If you have no custom toolbars, create one and add your macros to it.
Check your tools options settings and autoformat as you type settings for
personal preferences
Set the option under the Save tab to prompt to save normal.dot.
Close Word
Save normal.dot when prompted on closing.
Open Word. Is your toolbar now present?

Mel wrote:
I have been using Word 2003 for 5 years. Early on I created 4 macros
for the current time and dates. I put each macro on the Word
document tool bar as an icon and have been using them successfully
since. I click on an icon and it instantly puts that particular date
or time on my document where I want it.

Then yesterday, for no apparent reason, things changed. Now, when I
open either a new or an existing document one or all of icons may be
gone off the toolbar. They just disappear. The macros remain in the
"Commands" section of "Customize" but not on the tool bar. I then
have to reinstall each icon on the tool bar. I have done this
several times today.

Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm, which describes
how to delete the Data key of the registry. Then you should be able to put
your custom icons back to the toolbar(s).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mel" wrote in message
I have been using Word 2003 for 5 years. Early on I created 4 macros for
the current time and dates. I put each macro on the Word document tool bar
as an icon and have been using them successfully since. I click on an icon
and it instantly puts that particular date or time on my document where I
want it.

Then yesterday, for no apparent reason, things changed. Now, when I open
either a new or an existing document one or all of icons may be gone off
the toolbar. They just disappear. The macros remain in the "Commands"
section of "Customize" but not on the tool bar. I then have to reinstall
each icon on the tool bar. I have done this several times today.

Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mel Mel is offline

Graham

I am still studying your response to my June 30 post and have a couple of
questions. What are the steps I take to rename the Normal.dot file then
rename the Word Data Key? Based on your instructions I think I can take it
from there.