Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Djtipp

Default write protection

I am trying to transfer Word docs (Win 98)from floppy discs to a flash drive
to I can install on a newer 'puter. I keep getting a message when I try to
copy or send the docs to the drive that they are "write protected". The
little thing on the disc itself is in the unlocked position. Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ronald Roberts

Djtipp wrote:
I am trying to transfer Word docs (Win 98)from floppy discs to a flash drive
to I can install on a newer 'puter. I keep getting a message when I try to
copy or send the docs to the drive that they are "write protected". The
little thing on the disc itself is in the unlocked position. Help!

If I understand correctly, the write protected message is for the flash
drive, not the floppy. Check the properties for the flash drive or, if
the flash drive is empty, see if you can reformat it.

Ron

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Djtipp

Actually, the write protected message is for the floppy and not the flash
drive--sorry for the confustion.

"Ronald Roberts" wrote:

Djtipp wrote:
I am trying to transfer Word docs (Win 98)from floppy discs to a flash drive
to I can install on a newer 'puter. I keep getting a message when I try to
copy or send the docs to the drive that they are "write protected". The
little thing on the disc itself is in the unlocked position. Help!

If I understand correctly, the write protected message is for the flash
drive, not the floppy. Check the properties for the flash drive or, if
the flash drive is empty, see if you can reformat it.

Ron

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Both floppy disks and flash drives have write-protect tabs. Check them both.
Generally you get a message like that about the destination drive, not the
source drive.

Note, neither floppy disks nor flash drives are a place to actually use Word
documents. They should be used (read, edited, printed) only from the hard
drive.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Ronald Roberts" wrote:

Djtipp wrote:
I am trying to transfer Word docs (Win 98)from floppy discs to a flash
drive
to I can install on a newer 'puter. I keep getting a message when I try
copy or send the docs to the drive that they are "write protected". The
little thing on the disc itself is in the unlocked position. Help!

If I understand correctly, the write protected message is for the flash
drive, not the floppy. Check the properties for the flash drive or, if
the flash drive is empty, see if you can reformat it.

Ron

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Djtipp

Thanks Charles--the tabs on the discs are all in the "unlocked" position, so
it's not that. What happened was my hard drive crashed and I am just left
with some floppys. I cannot use the original hard drive they were used on.

I have taken the discs for example, to work and tried to load them onto that
hard drive. It works, but I then cannot copy them onto a flash drive (as I
don't want to save them on my work computer)--everytime I try and copy I get
that same message.