Eric G

Default Page numbering in footers, Outside margin, Page Number + Number of Pages

Hello

Windows XPP SP2

Office 2003 SP1

When printing in duplex, I would like to use page numbering in the footer, on the "outside" margin containing both the page number and the total number of pages, e.g. in the format 1 (12), or similar.

In Word, it's easy to use the command, Insert - Page Numbers - Position: Bottom of page, Alignment: Outside. But, this command only enters the page number, not the number of pages, and as far as I can see, there is no option for this either.

As Word inserts the page number in a frame, I've used this Insert - Page Numbers command, then through View - Headers and Footers, positioned my cursor in the frame and added the Insert Number of Pages into same, and, in my case, the two brackets, thereby getting an acceptable result.

I can, of course, go straight into Headers and Footers, enter the Page Number and Number of Pages command, but how do I get these positioned at the outside margin? Is there a function for this, that I've missed?

There must be some easier way of doing this than my primitive way of doing this, as described above?

Grateful for any suggestions.

Eric G

Stockholm, Sweden

Stefan Blom

You can enable different odd and even pages (on the Layout tab of
FilePage Setup) which allows you to keep separate contents in
odd and even footers. Then you can easily insert "Page X of Y"
via the AutoText entries accessible in the Header/Footer toolbar.
And you can specify the alignment by using either tab stops
(there are three predefined tab stops in the Footer paragraph
style) or by using paragraph alignment.

--
Stefan Blom

"Eric G" wrote in message

[...]

Eric G

Stefan,

Quite right, and very easy it was. Thank you!

Actually, I've always overlooked the Insert Auto Text entries in the Header / Footer set up, which, all of a sudden, brings up another question, prompted by my newly won insight, if you would be so kind:

I happen to live and work in Sweden (not really by choice, but anyway), but live and work in an English environment, why all my software, including operating system, Office, and everything else, are int'l English versions. No Swedish versions, whatsoever. However, I noticed that in the Header / Footer Insert Auto Text, my entries are in the Swedish. All my programs are updated with int'l English versions, and as far as I can tell, there shouldn't be anything Swedish on my system. So where does the system pick up the Swedish entries? And, more importantly, is there a way of easily resetting this Swedish behavior, to something more understandable, like back to English again?

Now, when I noticed this, I also checked my Excel 2003, and noticed that my Custom lists (Tools - Options - Custom lists) all of a sudden are in Swedish too, possibly by the same reason as the Swedish entries in Word.

I noticed, many moons ago (actually, many years ago) that if I, in Internet Explorer, set Language options (Tools - Internet Options - Languages) to Swedish, then when I update my Microsoft software from Microsoft's server it goes to the Swedish language site, but when I remove Swedish as a language and replace it with English (United States) (en-us), then my updates will be downloaded from Microsoft's English language servers. Any connection?

Once again thanks for your help, and I'm look forward hearing from you.

Eric G
Stockholm, Sweden

"Eric G" wrote in message

[...]

Eric G

Stefan,

Right again. But, this one wasn't really obvious to me.

In Windows Regional and Language Options, under Languages, I had two languages installed 1) English - United States, and 2) Swedish, due to my keyboard layout being Swedish (as we have 3 extra characters in our alphabet). Now I noticed that you can run with only the English - United States setup, together with Swedish keyboard support. Consequently, there is no need for the Swedish language support at all. I wasn't aware of this before.

Problem solved. Many thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

"Eric G" wrote in message

[...]

Stefan Blom

I'm glad I could help.

Yes, keyboard layout is independent of the system language -- and
both of them are independent of the langugage of menus and dialog
boxes.

There is also a relationship between Word's language settings and
the system language (at least for Word 2000 and later). For more,
see: http://homepage.hispeed.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm.

FWIW, my native language happens to be Swedish, too.

--
Hälsningar
Stefan Blom