Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
moose93

Default How do I add graphics to non-protected section of a form template?

I would like to use Word to create a template for my students to use to make
trading cards of historical figures. I would like to have part of the
document in a protected form, so the students can just add the information.
In the other part of the document I would like to have a place where students
can copy (and resize, crop, if necessary) a picture of the historical figure.
I would like it to print on 4 x 6 index cards. I have tried to create two
sections of the document and to only protect the form section, but then I
still can't resize or even move a picture, once I copy it to the protected
section. I am using Word 2002. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bW9vc2U5Mw==?=,

I would like to use Word to create a template for my students to use to make
trading cards of historical figures. I would like to have part of the
document in a protected form, so the students can just add the information.
In the other part of the document I would like to have a place where students
can copy (and resize, crop, if necessary) a picture of the historical figure.
I would like it to print on 4 x 6 index cards. I have tried to create two
sections of the document and to only protect the form section, but then I
still can't resize or even move a picture, once I copy it to the protected
section. I am using Word 2002. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Mmmm. You'll get this problem if the pictures are formatted with any text flow
(instead of "in line with text") and there's not a lot you can do about it. I
take it you have little or no influence over the format the pictures the
student's would be copying? Or could you set that up so that they're "in line
with the text"? That would at least allow the students to resize (but not crop).

However, if they inserted the pictures (in line with the text) into a TABLE
CELL, they should be able to resize the table cell to crop off parts they don't
want to have showing. They'd probably need to go over the Table/Table Properties
dialog box and specify an "exact" row height/column width setting (rather than
drag with the mouse). But if you'd set this up in the template (a table cell with
"exact" settings), then they should be able to drag the cell boundaries with the
mouse to expose/hide as much of the picture as they wish.

They can also position the table cell on the page whereever they wish.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
moose93

Default How do I add graphics to non-protected section of a form templ

If the picture is smaller than the allotted space, would the students be able
to resize the picture. I am working with fourth graders and I am trying to
make this as simple as possible.
Thanks for your help.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bW9vc2U5Mw==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bW9vc2U5Mw==?=,

If the picture is smaller than the allotted space, would the students be able
to resize the picture. I am working with fourth graders and I am trying to
make this as simple as possible.

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem :-) At least, it works fine here, on my
machine.

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Barb Barb is offline

Cindy, I've setup a table cell as you mentioned below, but when I insert the
picture into this unprotected section, I can't 'select it' to tell it to be
'inline with text' and therefore, it is off center and too large. I can't
change the format of the picture before I insert it, because it is the
company logo and other people use it as well.

Is there something in the document format that I should change prior to
inserting the picture?

Thanks, Barb

Hi ?B?bW9vc2U5Mw==?=,