Sandy

Default Toggle between 2 documents?

I would like to be able to switch back and forth between two open documents
in Word 03, when I have more than 2 documents open, without having to switch
to the (bizarrely-named) "Windows in Taskbar" viewing mode.

If I use "Windows in Taskbar," I can use the Windows "Alt-Tab" combination
to go back and forth or, by pressing the tab key repeatedly, cycle through my
other documents.

But if use what I guess is now the normal mode, where all documents appear
in the same program space, the best I can do is program a keystroke
combination that will go to "PrevWindow" or "NextWindow". However, that
doesn't toggle between two documents, like "Alt-Tab" does; instead, it cycles
backwards or forwards through ALL my open documents.

Can I get there from here?
Graham Mayor

Windows in taskbar is now the standard default view. If you uncheck this
option you can switch between documents with CTRL+F6. This will also switch
between documents (rather than all applications as with ALT+TAB) in the
default view.

Sandy wrote:
I would like to be able to switch back and forth between two open
documents in Word 03, when I have more than 2 documents open, without
having to switch to the (bizarrely-named) "Windows in Taskbar"
viewing mode.

If I use "Windows in Taskbar," I can use the Windows "Alt-Tab"
combination to go back and forth or, by pressing the tab key
repeatedly, cycle through my other documents.

But if use what I guess is now the normal mode, where all documents
appear in the same program space, the best I can do is program a
keystroke combination that will go to "PrevWindow" or "NextWindow".
However, that doesn't toggle between two documents, like "Alt-Tab"
does; instead, it cycles backwards or forwards through ALL my open
documents.

Can I get there from here?

Sandy

In other words, the answer is "no" -- I can't toggle between two documents
unless:

(1) I use "Windows in Taskbar" mode and "Alt-Tab"; or
(2) they are the only two open documents.

That confirms what I suspected. Thanks.
Graham Mayor

That's not quite what I wrote. CTRL+F6 will switch between open *documents*
no matter what view you are using.
ALT+TAB switches between open *windows*. I don't recall any function being
able to switch between only two open documents (if more than two documents
were open).

Sandy wrote:
In other words, the answer is "no" -- I can't toggle between two
documents unless:

(1) I use "Windows in Taskbar" mode and "Alt-Tab"; or
(2) they are the only two open documents.

That confirms what I suspected. Thanks.

Tony Jollans

You can't do this using native Word functionality but you could set it up
using Application events.

If you save the filename every time you change documents (in the
DocumentChange event) you can then write a macro which retrieves it and
switches to it. If you assign that macro to a key combination - Ctrl+Alt+F6,
perhaps, which is not used by Word, then you have a document toggle
facility.

I don't think it would easily be possible to build something like Alt+Tab
which reacts according to whether or not you release the Alt key, but a
toggle can certainly be done.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Sandy" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Ctrl-F6 and Shift-Ctrl-F6

You can get a display of the F buttons at the bottom of your screen with the
following macro:

Sub ShowMeFunctionKeys()
Commandbars("Function Key Display").Visible = True
End Sub

(Word 2000 +)
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Sandy" wrote in message
[...]

Sandy

Well, the best solution, if I want to switch back and forth rapidly
between two documents, appears to be to go to "Windows in Taskbar" mode,
maximize all the windows, and use the "Alt-Tab" function, which operates a
lot better than any Word keystroke combination or macro I can devise. With
the windows maximized, you don't get that annoying proliferation of redundant
toolbars, or the feeling that you're switching applications all the time.
You can't split the screen cleanly, but life is compromise. Then when I
don't need to toggle, I can go back to my preferred viewing mode.