Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelly Kelly is offline

Default insert arrow in document

How do I add a down arrow in a word document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

Kelly, there are lots of different arrows (size and shapes) in the Windows
font called Windings 3, which ought to have been included in your Windows
installation. Go to Insert/Symbol and bring up Wingdings 3 as the font, then
simply choose the arrow you want and insert it. Real simple. BUT... if you
are sending this to another computer, you might want to enable the "Embed
TrueType Fonts" option under Tools/Options/Save. That way if the computer
you are sending to does not have the Wingdings 3 font, it will be embedded in
the document.

"Kelly" wrote:

How do I add a down arrow in a word document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Kelly wrote:
How do I add a down arrow in a word document?

In most of the fonts usually used for body text, the down arrow character
will be Unicode value 2193. In recent versions of Word, you can type the
number 2193 in the text and then press Alt+X to convert it to the character.
In all versions you can use the Insert Symbol dialog
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...SpecChars.htm).

Alternatively, you can use one of the special symbol fonts, such as
Wingdings 3, that have a larger selection of arrows.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelly Kelly is offline

For the most part, this was very helpful. I am specifically trying to match
the font of a right arrow. The auto correct feature in word creates a right
arrow when you type "--". I would like to see a down arrow with this same
formatting and using the 2193 code does not seem to produce the desired
result even though I am in the same font. Suggestions?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Kelly wrote:
How do I add a down arrow in a word document?

In most of the fonts usually used for body text, the down arrow character
will be Unicode value 2193. In recent versions of Word, you can type the
number 2193 in the text and then press Alt+X to convert it to the character.
In all versions you can use the Insert Symbol dialog
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...SpecChars.htm).

Alternatively, you can use one of the special symbol fonts, such as
Wingdings 3, that have a larger selection of arrows.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you wanting an actual graphic arrow character or a dropdown field? If
the former, the others have provided your answer. If the latter, you need to
create a protected form; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and especially
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.

Or it may be that an AutoTextList field will be better for your purposes;
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm