Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anita H. Anita H. is offline

Default Word 2002 paste PDF as picture (or object) shows icon, not file?

Hi folks, not sure if this is a Word issue or an Adobe one, but appreciate
your thoughts!

In Word 2002, I want to paste an Adobe PDF as a picture, so I can shrink it
a bit and have it print within the document. No need to edit it within Word.
I am doing so from Adobe Acrobat 5.0, (all permissions for the file are
checked, no security on), "copy file to Clipboard" then in Word, Paste
Special, choosing 'as picture'.

What I get is a bitmap of the PDF icon and the text 'Acrobat Document',
within the usual picture frame, with sizing boxes in corners and rotate tool
above.

If I choose to Paste Special "as object" the only option is Acrobat 7.0 (I
have only 5.0) and after a somewhat longer pause, I get the same result: the
icon and 'Acrobat Document' below.

But I can't see my actual file! Can't find any options under Format Picture
(or Format Object) that seem helpful. Help please?

Anita
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Not sure if it works in 2002 or not but this does in 2003 if the PDF is text
only:

In Word, go to InsertObject, click the From File tab, browse to the PDF's
location, select it & click Insert, then click OK (make sure there is no
check in either of the checkboxes). No graphic content will be inserted,
however.

An alternative:

This won't help if the PDF has more than one page of content... only the
first page will display, but you can download the free Adobe Reader here;

According to a few attempts here (using Reader 7) the process you're using
should work.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Anita H." Anita wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anita H.[_2_] Anita H.[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2002 paste PDF as picture (or object) shows icon, not fil

Hi Bob/Taz, thanks for your quick reply. It actually did help, tho it took me
a week to notice the helpful part in your reply (Insert object didn't help
because I have both graphics and text intermingled): you said,

According to a few attempts here (using Reader 7) the process you're using
should work.

So, I tried what had failed from Acrobat 5.0 (file to clipboard, Paste
Special, as picture), and instead did it from Reader 7.0 as you did, and
voila! Worked exactly as expected. So, thanks, and it must be some kind of
odd buggy communication between the older Acrobat and Word 2002...

Good to go,
Anita