Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

Default Second line of paragraph won't indent like I need it to

Hello,

I am working on a legal document someone else created. I can't get the 2nd
line in one of their paragraphs to indent like I need it to. the They have
the following sentence:

Tab 0.5 Tab 1.0 Tab 1.5
Tab 6.5
| | |

(f) (1) All cash fees payable under
Subsection 2(a) are
due and made payable at the closing, etc., etc.

I need the 2nd line, "due and made payable...", to be indented at Tab 1.5
underneath the 1st line, "All cash fees payable..."
The Paragraph Indentation dialog box shows Left Indent at 0.5" and a Hanging
Indent By 0.5".
For now I've just put a paragraph break after the word "are" at the end of
the first line and that works my indenting problem but the whole document
is full justified and that leaves a big blank space after the "are" and it
makes that word along the right margin uneven.
This is a legal document and has to look just right, can anyone help me out,
please?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

"Studebaker" wrote: I need the 2nd line, "due and made payable...", to be
indented at Tab 1.5 underneath the 1st line, "All cash fees payable..." The
Paragraph Indentation dialog box shows Left Indent at 0.5" and a Hanging
Indent By 0.5".

I suspect there is a tab character in your first line, nonetheless, 0.5" +
0.5" is only 1.0" and not 1.5". If you set the hanging indent to 1", does
that solve your problem?

Steven Craig Miller

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

Hello,

No, if I try to change the left indent from 0.5" or the hanging indent from
0.5" to anything else it will move the whole thing--the (f) and/or the (1). I
need them to stay stationary and the 2nd line of text to line up with the 1st
line of text.
Ex:
(f) (1) All cash fees payable under Subsections 2(a), 2(b), and 2(d)
above
shall be due and
If you or anyone could help, I would appreciate it!!

Thanks!

"StevenM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Studebaker,

If you toggle the Pilcrow (the Paragraph symbol -- it looks like a P but
facing the opposite direction) so to reveal the invisible codes, what do you
see before and after "(f)"? (A tab character should look like an arrow -)

See: http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm
The "Show/Hide" icon is a Pilcrow or Paragraph mark.

So, do you have:

(f) - (1) - All cash fees payable under ...

And then you want the next line to line up under the "A" of "All cash ..",
yes?

I got it to work with Indent 0.5" & Hanging Indent 1"

You wrote: if I try to change the left indent from 0.5" or the hanging
indent from 0.5" to anything else it will move the whole thing--the (f)
and/or the (1).

Why would changing the "hanging indent" change anything on the first line?
That does not make any sense. Unless the line before the line with (f) does
not end with a paragraph mark. So, again toggle on the Pilcrow (Paragraph
Mark), does the line before the line with "(f) - (1) - All cash ..." end
with a Paragraph mark?

Steven Craig Miller

"StevenM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Changing the hanging indent would change the first line because it (by
default) sets a tab stop at the position of the hanging indent, which then
overrides the built-in tab stops to the left of it. It will be necessary to
explicitly set a tab stop at 1" in order to make this work.

"StevenM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

I have been using a tabstop at both 0.5" and 1" to attempt to replicate
Studebaker's situation, and my text was formatting as needed. But you're
right, the fist tab is not needed, only one at 1".

Steven Craig Miller

"StevenM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

Hello Steven,

I can't visualize what you mean...can you explain?
I put my cursor before the (f) and opened the paragraph/indent dialog box. I
kept the left indent at 0.5" and changed the hanging indent to 1.0" like I
thought you meant but it moves the (1) as well as the 2nd line on down of the
paragraph text. I want the (f) and the (1) to remain at 0.5" and 1.0"
respectively and I want the 2nd line of paragraph text on down to be aligned
under the 1st line of text which is at 1.5".
Do you know what I mean? I appreciate you helping me out!

P.S. I *do* have tab arrows like you asked in your other post when I unhide
the formatting codes.

"StevenM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Studebaker,

I want the (f) and the (1) to remain at 0.5" and 1.0" respectively and I
want the 2nd line of paragraph text on down to be aligned under the 1st line
of text which is at 1.5". Do you know what I mean?

Yes.

I can't visualize what you mean...can you explain?

Okay, put your cursor anyplace on the paragraph we're woking on.

Look at your horizontal ruler (usually at the top, right above the page).

If you don't have a ruler at the top, you need to turn it on. Goto: View
Ruler and that will turn it on. (Perhaps in Word 2007, there is another
method for turning it on?)

You should have an upside down triangle at the top of the 0.5" mark; a
L-shaped mark (=tab stop) at the 1" mark; and a rightside up triangle with a
box below it at the bottom of the 1.5" mark. Yes or no?

Also, you should be able to move your cursor from the beginning of the
paragraph to the end of the paragraph without these marks changing.

You should also be able to goto: Format Paragraph and see: 0.5" indent &
Hanging, followed by 1". You should be able to goto: Format Tabs and see:
1" in the big box.

You should be able to goto: Format Style Modify Format Paragraph &
then Tabs and see the same numbers. (If you're using Word 2007, some of these
menus might be in different locations, but the idea is the same.)

In addition, click on the Pilcrow-Paragraph mark and the first line shoul
read:

(f) - (1) - All cash fees payable under ...

There should be empty space before the (f). My "-" is meant to represent
the visible tab marks (which will disappear when you click on the Pilcrow
symbol again). The second line should begin under the "A" of "All cash ..."

What version of Word do you use?

Steven Craig Miller

"StevenM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

It worked!!! I had the tabs/indents in the wrong order. I went through you
answer and all the Paragraph and Tab dialog boxes all show what you mention.

Just so I can understand, why doesn't the Paragraph dialog box now say 1.5"
for the hanging indent? I understand the left tab at 0.5" for the (f) and the
L-tab stop at 1" for the (1) but shouldn't the hanging indent in the
Paragraph dialog box now read 1.5" for the text part of the paragraph? (Don't
get me wrong, everything looks and works as it should. I just want to
understand).

Thank you so much, Steven!!
P.S. I'm on someone else's PC and so I'm having to use Word 2007 on this
doc. No problem b/c I know Word 2003 and could translate your instructions
for Word 2007.

Studebaker,

"StevenM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Studebaker,

Just so I can understand, why doesn't the Paragraph dialog box now say
1.5" for the hanging indent? I understand the left tab at 0.5" for the (f)
and the L-tab stop at 1" for the (1) but shouldn't the hanging indent in the
Paragraph dialog box now read 1.5" for the text part of the paragraph?

I'm glad things are now working for you. I thought our next step would be to
seed screen shots to each other by e-mail. I'm glad we didn't have to go that
far. grin

As to why the hanging indent says 1" and not 1.5": The "Left indent" is for
the whole paragraph. The hanging indent is an extra indent for the rest of
the paragraph (excluding the first line). In my first message to you, I
mentioned that one needed to add the Left indent of 0.5" and the hanging
indent of 1" to get to the 1.5" mark. (I all too often have to read
instructions two or three times before I can begin to comprehend them.)

Anyway, things are now working for you.

Steven Craig Miller

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

Thanks. I will look over what you said and learn something.

"StevenM" wrote:

Studebaker,

[...]

style question, indent first line, but not first paragraph [email protected] New Users 2 October 3rd 07 11:03 PM
paragraph indent Scotti New Users 1 October 10th 06 03:01 PM
First line paragraph indent not working Boggler Microsoft Word Help 1 December 20th 05 09:01 PM
Indent a paragraph Ellen Microsoft Word Help 3 September 14th 05 10:04 AM
Indent a paragraph Ellen Microsoft Word Help 0 September 12th 05 01:00 PM