Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vadim Rapp[_2_] Vadim Rapp[_2_] is offline

Default Word document loses attached template when saved in Sharepoint document library

I have created custom template in Word 2002 SP3 for one particular document
library in our Sharepoint Services 3.0 SP1, and specified that template in
the advanced settings of the library (I specified not .dot file but
equivalent .doc file).

When the user creates new Word document in the library, the document is
correctly created basing on the specified template.

But once the document is saved to the library and then reopened in Word, the
custom template is not attached. If I open menu Tools/Templates, I see that
the attached template is some .doc file in IE temporary directory, and that
..doc file does not exist. As I understand, when Word creates new document,
it downloads the template from Sharepoint and attaches it to the new
document, but once the file is closed, the downloaded template is gone.

I see this does not happen in Word 2003.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem without upgrading to Word 2003?

thanks