Todd Burch

Default How do I convert an all CAPS doc to Cap and lowercase?

Using Word 2003. I've cut and pasted text from a Notepad document into
Word. I would like the existing all caps formatting to format with capital
letters at the start of a sentence and all remaining letters to be lowecase.
How do I do this?

Thanks.
Shauna Kelly

Hi Todd

Select the text and use Shift-F3. Keep pressing Shift-F3 and it cycles
through all caps, no caps and Word's so-called "title" case.

Or, Format Change Case.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Todd Burch" Todd wrote in message
Using Word 2003. I've cut and pasted text from a Notepad document into
Word. I would like the existing all caps formatting to format with
capital
letters at the start of a sentence and all remaining letters to be
lowecase.
How do I do this?

Thanks.

Todd Burch

Thanks Shauna. Don't know how I missed the "FormatChange Case..", but that
fixed me up perfect! The Shift+F3 is good too - a bit faster.

Todd Burch

Yes, I noticed that behavior. I liked how I did not have to select (hilite)
a word, but merely had to place the text cursor somehwere on/in the word, and
press SHIFT+F3 to toggle through the options for that word.

Change Case (SHIFT+F3) did have appear to have some limitations:

1) Since I wanted to select large blocks of text and reformat them in one
fell swoop, the all-lowercase option provided the best solution. I then only
had to edit the first word of every sentence, and SHIFT+F3 was good at that,
a word at a time.

2) Perhaps the CRLFs that came in from Notepad caused this function to not
work properly, but when using the sentence option, the first character on
each line was capitalized, which caused extra work to re-edit. That's why I
went with all lowercase.

3) Words (character sequences) that I later wanted to make all caps, like
"d7abc", did not work with SHIFT+F3. I could not make them all caps without
manually retyping. I think the number in the character sequence caused
different behavior.

Thanks again. Todd

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Shift+F3 is great if it happens to include the capitalization option you're
looking for, but it includes *either* Title Case for Sentence case depending
on the text selected.

"Todd Burch" Todd wrote in message
Thanks Shauna. Don't know how I missed the "FormatChange Case..", but

that
fixed me up perfect! The Shift+F3 is good too - a bit faster.

Wrt to (2), you can clean that up before you start; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm

Wrt to (3), I had no trouble applying UPPERCASE to d7abc using Format |
Change Case, but you could also use Ctrl+Shift+A to apply All Caps
formatting.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Shift+F3 is great if it happens to include the capitalization option

you're
looking for, but it includes *either* Title Case for Sentence case

depending
on the text selected.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.