Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zahid Aziz

Default Format/font shows different font than that in use

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 under Windows XP Home and in my Word
documents I use the Times New Roman font most of the time. My default font
is Times New Roman, 12 points.

Recently I have noticed that if I highlight some text and select format
font to change some attribute of the font, it shows the font as "Times"
instead of Times New Roman. If I then simply proceed to change the attribute
I wanted (e.g. select small caps), then the font of that text changes as
well to Times.

So to avoid this, when I go into format font I have to reselect the font
as being Times New Roman (which is of course what it was anyway) and then
change the attribute I wanted.

I tested by selecting some text which was in the Arial font. Doing format
font showed Helvetica instead of Arial.

I wonder if this could be related to the fact that in the past I have opened
some old WordPerfect documents, for conversion to Word, which used the fonts
Times and Helvetica. But it is happening in all documents, including those
which have always been in Word and any new onew that I create.

Zahid Aziz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Word Heretic

G'day "Zahid Aziz" ,

Ideally you should be defining styles to control your formatting, they
are much more reliable at providing consistent presentation.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Zahid Aziz reckoned:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zahid Aziz

Thanks Steve for your reply.

In fact I am using styles for almost all my formatting. But there was just
one word in a document which I wanted in small capitals, so I selected it
and did formatfont. It was then that I discovered that this dialogue box
was showing the font as Times when in fact the word was in Times New Roman.
I investigated further and found that this happened for any selected text in
any document that I opened.

I also use another PC, and this problem does not occur there.

Zahid.

"Word Heretic" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Word Heretic

G'day "Zahid Aziz" ,

That type of formatting is called a Character Style, create one called
Small Caps, or Product Name or whatever :-) Set its font attribs to
have Small Caps.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Zahid Aziz reckoned:

Thanks Steve for your reply.

In fact I am using styles for almost all my formatting. But there was just
one word in a document which I wanted in small capitals, so I selected it
and did formatfont. It was then that I discovered that this dialogue box
was showing the font as Times when in fact the word was in Times New Roman.
I investigated further and found that this happened for any selected text in
any document that I opened.

I also use another PC, and this problem does not occur there.

Zahid.

.. .