Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carla Carla is offline

Default Will not let me type in "for which" field on inserting cross-refer

I am trying to insert cross references into my document. I followed the
steps in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...893761033.aspx, but when
I get to the step where you type in "for which...." either page number or
text, it will not let me type anything. I am using Windows Vista, Word 2007.
What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carla Carla is offline

It does nothing after I select "text"....like it's waiting for me to give it
more info. I am stuck.

"Carla" wrote:

I am trying to insert cross references into my document. I followed the
steps in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...893761033.aspx, but when
I get to the step where you type in "for which...." either page number or
text, it will not let me type anything. I am using Windows Vista, Word 2007.
What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

After you select "Text," click Insert. If "Insert" is disabled, that's
because you haven't selected anything in the "For which heading/numbered
item/bookmark/etc." list.

"Carla" wrote:

I am trying to insert cross references into my document. I followed the
steps in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...893761033.aspx, but
when
I get to the step where you type in "for which...." either page number or
text, it will not let me type anything. I am using Windows Vista, Word
2007.
What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carla Carla is offline

Default Will not let me type in "for which" field on inserting cross-r

It will not allow me to select anything in the "for which heading/etc" list.
There is nothing to select. What am I doing wrong?

"Carla" wrote:

I am trying to insert cross references into my document. I followed the
steps in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...893761033.aspx, but
when
I get to the step where you type in "for which...." either page number or
text, it will not let me type anything. I am using Windows Vista, Word
2007.
What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Does the document contain headings in any of Word's built-in heading styles?
If not, there will be nothing to select. If you don't have any headings,
numbered items, footnotes, endnotes, figures, or tables (the latter labeled
with captions created with Insert | Reference | Caption), then you are
reduced to Bookmark, which requires that you have previously applied a
bookmark to the text you want to cross-reference.

"Carla" wrote:

I am trying to insert cross references into my document. I followed
the
steps in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...893761033.aspx,
but
when
I get to the step where you type in "for which...." either page number
or
text, it will not let me type anything. I am using Windows Vista,
Word
2007.
What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carla Carla is offline

Yes I do have headings, page numbers and footnotes. Not sure what the
problem is, but it won't give me anything to select.

"Carla" wrote:

I am trying to insert cross references into my document. I followed
the
steps in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...893761033.aspx,
but
when
I get to the step where you type in "for which...." either page number
or
text, it will not let me type anything. I am using Windows Vista,
Word
2007.
What am I missing here?
Thanks,
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have headings (in the built-in heading styles) in the document, and
you have selected Heading as the reference type, then you should see a list
of headings in the "For which" box. Same with footnotes. Page numbers are
not something you can cross-reference; they are one of the choices of the
result of the cross-reference.