Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default Can't delete file after rename/save as

So I am going about converting my .doc files to .docx files. (I don't
know the compelling logic behind the change of extension, but it has
definitely been a big productivity boost for me.)

I load a .doc file and "Save as" ,docx. Now I have 2 files with the
same name and a different extension.

Since I opened it from Explorer, I just Alt-Tab back and try to delete
the old one. But it won't let me do that. Even thogh Word is no longer
editing the old one, the error message says that it is. I have to
close the new one before I can delete the old one.

Do these guys do any testing at all?

Is there a utility that will convert all of the docs in a folder to
the new format and erase the old ones?

I tried just renaming it, but then Word is too stupid to load it. Too
simple and obvious, I guess.

Anyone have a better method? I have several thousand to do.

I am actually starting to like at least some of the new features, but
the migration plan is a disaster. Arrogance or stupidity.

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

I've seen something similar to that in the past - as in before 2007. Any
time you do a Save As, you have to close the new file before you can delete
the old one.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I think this has something to do with a Word generated temp locking file
that isn't removed until Word is closed. It's a nightmare!

What happens if you deliberately select Open as a Copy and then save as a
docx?

Perhaps as a workaround, you open up from the current folder and SaveAs to a
docx into a different folder. The when the task is complete, you go back and
rename the old doc folder and then rename the new docx folder to the same
name as the old folder? (I hope that's clear!)

Terry

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Tue, 29 May 2007 20:37:17 -0400, "JoAnn Paules"
wrote:

I've seen something similar to that in the past - as in before 2007. Any
time you do a Save As, you have to close the new file before you can delete
the old one.

Are you saying that this doesn't happen to everyone?

If you open a document and save it as some other document, are you
able to delete the original while you still have the renamed one open?

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It seems to vary by version. I can recall in some previous versions that if
I opened Document A and saved it as Document B, I then couldn't delete
Document A as long as Document B was open because the "owner" file
(~$filename.doc) created when I opened Document A was not deleted till I
closed Document B. In Word 2003, although the owner file remains open, I can
delete or rename or move or otherwise deal with Document A without closing
Document B.