Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Old Blind Dog Old Blind Dog is offline

Default Spaces and tabs won't display

I got adocument from someone else, and in it, with show/hide paragraphs on,
the paragraph marks display, but the spaces and tabs do not.

What can I do to return this document to the default behavior?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What version of Word are you using? If Word 2007, choose Office - Display,
and put checks next to Tab characters and Spaces.

Do they show now?

Do they show in other documents?

If not, then you might have some kind of document corruption for that
document.

If they don't show in any documents, then it might be registry corruption.
Try starting Word in Safe mode (hold down the Ctrl key, start Word, and
continue holding the Ctrl key until Word prompts asking if you want to start
in Safe Mode). Do they show in Safe Mode?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

"Old Blind Dog" wrote in message
I got adocument from someone else, and in it, with show/hide paragraphs
on,
the paragraph marks display, but the spaces and tabs do not.

What can I do to return this document to the default behavior?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Old Blind Dog Old Blind Dog is offline

Found that the problem is in the font, which was a download version of
Optima. Changing back to an Office installed font solved the problem. Pity,
as I like Optima.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It could be worse; some of the fonts that shipped with early versions of
Corel Graphics Suite (CorelDRAW) have gigantic squares instead of dots for
spaces, making them virtually impossible to use with nonprinting characters
displayed.

http://word.mvps.org