Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Antoine Hauck Antoine Hauck is offline

Default Embed information in Word 2003 Document

Hello community

Is there any way to embed information in a Word 2003 document?

The following goal is given: The user must have the possibility to insert a
reference to a knowledge unit (which is stored in a database, access to the
DB is accomplished with VSTO) into the document. This reference must be
visible to the user (with an unique identification of the knowledge unit,
e.g. Requirement_12A).
The reference should also contain additional information to be able to
reference to the knowledge unit (KU) from the database (this information will
be the ID of the references KU, ID of the document etc.)
It should also be possible when the user clicks on the reference, that the
whole reference is selected and can be deleted easily with e.g. the DEL key
and the underlying information is also deleted with the reference.

Also I should be able to click on such a reference and a specific text in
the document will be selected (for example the explanatory text of such a
reference).

When the user saves the document all the references with the contained data
are collected and sent to the database.

So my question is, how can I realize such a reference that contains the
required data?

I had the idea to insert a hyperlink as the reference. The hyperlinks point
to the according bookmarks (which is the explanatory text of the reference).
The problem is, I don't know how to embed the additional data (KU ID etc.) to
the hyperlink.

Is there any other ways to embed information to a document. Like XML Parts
(Word 2007 has this feature) in the Word Doc or Object References which holds
the data?

Thanks in advance for your support and have a nice weekend.
Antoine
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to the display text and the target address, a hyperlink can have
ScreenTip text that pops up when you hover over the link. See the Insert
Hyperlink dialog for these options.

http://word.mvps.org

"Antoine Hauck" Antoine wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Antoine Hauck[_2_] Antoine Hauck[_2_] is offline

Thank you very much for the reply.

Now I can iterate all the hyperlinks and fetch the data in the ScreenTip
property.

Greetz Antoine