onlinejester

Default How do I type a macron in Word 2003?

In Word XP I was able to type a lowercase a with a macron over it by holding
down the ALT key and then typing 257 on the number pad. However, I have
discovered that when I try to do this in Word 2003, nothing appears. In both
case, Times New Roman was my font.

So my question is the following: Since the ALT + # combination no longer
seems to work in Word 2003, how do I type English vowels with a macron over
them -- needed in Latin and the transliteration of Sanskrit and Hindi.
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Did you make sure your Num Lock was on?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"onlinejester" wrote in message
In Word XP I was able to type a lowercase a with a macron over it by
holding
down the ALT key and then typing 257 on the number pad. However, I have
discovered that when I try to do this in Word 2003, nothing appears. In
both
case, Times New Roman was my font.

So my question is the following: Since the ALT + # combination no longer
seems to work in Word 2003, how do I type English vowels with a macron
over
them -- needed in Latin and the transliteration of Sanskrit and Hindi.

Jay Freedman

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:22:02 -0700, onlinejester
wrote:

In Word XP I was able to type a lowercase a with a macron over it by holding
down the ALT key and then typing 257 on the number pad. However, I have
discovered that when I try to do this in Word 2003, nothing appears. In both
case, Times New Roman was my font.

So my question is the following: Since the ALT + # combination no longer
seems to work in Word 2003, how do I type English vowels with a macron over
them -- needed in Latin and the transliteration of Sanskrit and Hindi.

Alt+0257 works just fine in my copy of Word 2003. Make sure you have
NumLock turned on when you try it. An alternative is to type 101 in
the document (that's the hexadecimal equivalent of decimal 257) and
press Alt+X.

Yet another alternative is to select the character in the Insert
Symbol dialog (it's in the Latin Extended-A subset); then press the
Shortcut Key button and create a simple key combination for it. Do the
same for the other vowels.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm for more
info.

--