Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patricia Shannon Patricia Shannon is offline

Default server name

We have user manuals (each chapter on a separate file) on a server.
We have printed versions in binders for people to use.
I would like to put the name of the file in the footer.
The problem is, the FILENAME field puts in the mapped name, eg., I:\
But some people might map it to another drive.
So when you are looking at the printed documents, people won't necessarily
know where to look.
We want to be able to put in the name that you see when you hover the cursor
above a hyperlink:
\\Server Name\Share Name\the rest of the file name

By putting the FILENAME field inside the HYPERLINK field, I got the format I
wanted. The problem is that the text is hard-coded to the name of the file
when these nested fields are created.
If the name of the file is changed, the hyperlink does change. You can see
it by holding the cursor over it.
But the text that is displayed and printed does not change.

Is there some fairly simple way and fast way I can do this.
I don't want to use VBA. There are almost 200 documents.
It needs to be automatic, that will work after my job ends at the end of
this month, and contractors come and go.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Patricia,

I would (respectfully) suggest that this is not your problem.

If the Sysadmin implements a policy of consistent mapping across the
organisation then the issue does not arise.

What MIGHT be your problem is bringing this issue to the attention
of whoever can do something about it - there will be a host of similar
problems across the board if inconsistent mapping is permitted.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Patricia Shannon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patricia Shannon Patricia Shannon is offline

I'm just a lowly contractor, hired to do a conversion of a documentation
package whose vendor will be discontining support. I don't have any influence
over that kind of thing. To access the shared drive and printers, I had to
do the mapping myself.
Just finding the right people to take care of a printer problem (print from
the mainframe shifted to the left, print from the PC's fine) took hours a
couple of days ago, and it's still in the queue waiting to it's turn to be
fixed.
It took me a month to get a phone on my desk when I came to work.
And no, it's not a government job. It's simply a very large company that's
highly computer dependent.
And as I said, my job will be ending in a few weeks.
The conditions here are perfectly ordinary for a big company, or for the
government. I'm glad for you that you evidently have had a simpler time at
your jobs.

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Hi Patricia,

I fully sympathise with your predicament!

Nevertheless, a computer-dependant organisation without some
form IT Strategic Plan is going to bumble and stumble forever.

With such a Plan, and its concomitant Service Level Agreements,
Implementation and Integration policies as well as Change Management
Procedures, ensures consistency and relevance across the board.

High technology is used in many companies - for example complex
computer controlled production machinery, where you will find it
managed by an experienced Production Manager - not primarily a
techo, but with savvy and support.

IT needs to support the business goals, crisply, clearly and cleanly.
This requires management by an Executive who understands the
business AND its dependencies - savvy but not necessarily a techo.

Good Luck, and God Speed!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patricia Shannon Patricia Shannon is offline

I found it. The ShareName property gives both the server name and share name:
\\ServerName\ShareName
which is exactly what I wanted.
eg.

Dim Fso
Dim Drv

Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Drv = Fso.GetDriveName("I:\CIS")
Debug.Print "Drv="; Drv '
Debug.Print "Path="; ActiveDocument.Path
Set Drv = Fso.getdrive(Fso.GetDriveName(ActiveDocument.Path) )
Debug.Print "Drive="; Drv
Debug.Print "Vol name="; Drv.volumename
Debug.Print "ShareName="; Drv.sharename