michael2005

Default How to create a Tbl style with precise positioning

I would like to create a table style that includes exact positioning relative
to the page it is inserted on (for example, I would like my tbl style to
always be placed in a precise position at the top of the page where it is
inserted).

However, when I create a Word Table style the "Positioning" and "Preferred
width" settings are grayed out. Therefore perhaps this isn't supported...

Any guidance appreciated.

Also, in lieu of exporting to a word document to RTF, does Word offer any
facility to export a stylesheet to a text format where it can be easily
edited. This would facilitate template/style design for the document
designer. Note: I'm accustomed to other tools (Clients need requires Word)
where the style and data layers are distinctly separated.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bWljaGFlbDIwMDU=?=,

I would like to create a table style that includes exact positioning relative
to the page it is inserted on (for example, I would like my tbl style to
always be placed in a precise position at the top of the page where it is
inserted).

However, when I create a Word Table style the "Positioning" and "Preferred
width" settings are grayed out. Therefore perhaps this isn't supported...

That's correct. A Table style basically includes anything that can be done with
an AutoFormat. I'd say, create an AutoText entry for this and insert the
AutoText entry whenever you need that special kind of table. Your other option
is to program it in a macro.

No idea about your second question, although you could experiment with exporting
to HTML format, using various options in Tools/Options/General/Web options.

It would be possible to create the styles in a separate document, or template,
then move them to the "target" later, with the Organizer tool. Hard to say,
without understanding more about how this whole thing is supposed to fit
together.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

michael2005

Thanks Cindy.

Looks like I will have to go the macro route. It is too bad Word Table
styles are not more powerful as I have 100+ pg document that contains 150+
instances of tables based on a few table designs that remain in the flux.
Therefore when the underlying table design changes (which can include both
position and look/feel) I have no way (other than programming a macro) to
update the style design of the table instances.

I realize Word is a word-processor at heart and has expanded it's feature
set to satisfy many niches but I'm hoping it's move towards XML will also
include page layout/presentation improvements. Given that many clients/co's
use Word in lieu of page layout progs it would be very useful to have Word
include pg layout features such as page objects (underlying pg elements that
can be repeatable for diff doc sections) placed on underlying design pages or
"master" pages in the parlance of a prog like Framemaker. Improved style
design features such as taking the existing "reveal formatting" feature a
step further towards allowing a user/template-designer to see/edit the
complete style hierarchy in an editable expand/collapsable tree would be a
wonderful functionality.

Well, down of my soapbox ... :-)

thanks again,

Michael

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bWljaGFlbDIwMDU=?=,

[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Michael,

For your 2nd question, you can create a Cascading Style Sheet
separately from Word and attach and apply it to portions of
a document,
and you can extract the style sections from
File=Web Page preview or through Alt+Shift+F11 if you have
the VB Script Editor option installed from Word, but there
isn't a feature to save the styles separately.

Word is text reflow software rather than page layout software.
Except for reflecting the currently selected printer (and
that can be different for each person opening a Word document)
Word doesn't really 'think' in terms of pages.

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx