The Yogurt Man

Default Dynamic Templates? Format changes based on length of document?

My organization's stationary has a large graphic element on the bottom right
side of the page. To maximize space on one page letters, we would like our
letter template to drop lower than the graphic, so that the short-lined
salutations, signatures, and titles that close our letters can sit nicely in
the white space next to the graphical interface. On two page letters,
however, we need the bottom margin of our front page to be taller, otherwise
text would obscure the bottom graphic.

One solution for our problem, obviously, would be to have two templates: a
one page template and a two page template. But it would be better if we
could have just one template, that would dynamically change first page
formatting if text spilled onto a second page. Is this possible in a
Microsoft Word template? And if so, how?
Charles Kenyon

Yes it is possible. Take a look at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. For even more,
see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm. These show how to use
conditional fields (IF) to change the contents of a header/footer depending
on page numbers. Positioning graphics within these fields can be tricky, but
it can be done.

Otherwise, you could set your graphic to wrap text to the left or right and
actually allow your regular text to flow around but not on top of your
graphic.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"The Yogurt Man" The Yogurt wrote in message
[...]

The Yogurt Man

Thanks for the idea.

Unfortunately, I've looked at this solution, and I'm not sure that the
conditional (IF), as related to page number, will solve the problem, since
page numbering must exist in static header or footer boxes. If the page
number doesn't appear, the footer would still appear on the page and cause a
defacto new bottom margin. Ideally, what I would have is a conditional (IF)
for whether or not a first page footer would appear or not. (In other words,
if the total document pages 1 the first page footer appears, if total
document pages = 1 the footer doesn't appear.)

Another possible solution: is there a way to create an equation using total
document pages. If there were, I could see an equation that would exist in a
first page footer that would call for a blank box in the first page footer if
the total pages of the document are greater than one. In that case, the
blank box could force the footer to expand past the normal one inch margin.
Thus one page documents would format all the way to the bottom margin, and on
multiple page documents, the box in the footer would establish a larger first
page margin.

Are either of these options feasible?

Thanks!

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Charles Kenyon

No, the page number does not need to appear on the page. It is used as a
condition in the IF field. The examples shown do display page numbers but
the key thing is the test for a particular page number or for equality to
the NumPages field (last page). In your example, you would be testing for
{ If {NumPages} 1 "long footer" "short footer" }