Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nannie Nannie is offline

Default Dictionary-style running header in an Index

I have used Mark Index Entry on my document to create an index. I now want to
have dictionary-style running headers. If I use StyleRef and Index 1, I get
the whole line, such as: Smith, John 44, 47, 50 in the header. I want
just the name (or better yet, everything prior to the comma). Changing the
style on the Index isn't good as I will probably need to recompile the Index
over time.

Running headers in an Index is a natural thing. How can I get it to work?
Thanks
--
Nannie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Generally you can do what you want with a character style and a STYLEREF
that references the character style. But, as you've noticed, this does not
work in an index, since any formatting applied to the entries will be lost
the next time you update the index field. You may want to ask in a
programming newsgroup, such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general, where
someone might be able to suggest a different approach.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP