Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lakelawn1 Lakelawn1 is offline

Default Sorting address lists that are in 2 columns

How do I sort my names with addresses that are in 2 columns? If I put them
in a text box, it sorts everything, separating names from addresses. I have
tried everything I can think of. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Maybe someone can give you a better answer, but until then I'll make a couple
suggestions. First, you might make it more clear by what you mean by "2
Columns." Columns in Word generally mean "Newspaper" columns. If that is what
you have, I don't believe you can sort them. Since the second column is
merely the continuation of the first column (as in most newspapers, hence its
name). If you want to sort text in two columns in Word, I would suggest using
a table. Create a table with two columns and as many rows as you need. You
should then be able to sort the columns without any problems.

I usually set the border style to none. (Put the cursor in the table, go to
Table - Table Properties - Borders and Shading - None - Ok - Ok.) You
should still be able to see the light gray lines of the table, but they wont
print.

Steven Craig Miller

"Lakelawn1" wrote:

How do I sort my names with addresses that are in 2 columns? If I put them
in a text box, it sorts everything, separating names from addresses. I have
tried everything I can think of. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's easy to convert your two columns of text to a two-column table --
as long as each name and each address is separated from the previous
and next one by a paragraph mark.

Select the first column of names, and Tables Convert Text to
table. You should get a one-column table.

Do the same for the first column of addresses.

Go to the names table, select the whole column, and Tables Insert
Columns to right. You'll get an empty column where you'll now put the
addresses.

Go to the names table, elect the whole column of addresses, and Copy
it; then select the empty column in the names table, and Paste. If you
did in fact have the same number of names and addresses, they'll now
be exactly paired. (Now delete the address table.)

If you have another page of entries, do the same thing. The easiest
(if not the most elegant) way to make all the resulting pages of names
and addresses is to select the whole first table, go to Tables
Insert Rows below. You'll then get empty rows. Copy the entire
second page table. Make sure you have the same number of rows as are
in the second page of entries before you Paste them into the blank
rows. Select as many blank rows as the second page will fill up, and
Paste. ()Now delete the second-page table.)

Repeat as necessary.

"Lakelawn1" wrote:
How do I sort my names with addresses that are in 2 columns? *If I put them
in a text box, it sorts everything, separating names from addresses. *I have
tried everything I can think of. *Thanks.- Hide quoted text -