Julie Paphos

Default How do I type accents/stress marks in Greek?

I am using an English keyboard with Greek set up as second language. How do
I type the stress marks (accents) on the vowels?
Doug Robbins

You can either use InsertSymbol which will show you the key combination to
type for each, or they can be inserted by holding down the Alt key and then
typing the appropriate sequence of numeric keys on the numeric keypad. If
you run the following macro, it will create a table showing you what keys
insert what:

' Macro created 12-08-98 by Doug Robbins to list symbols that can be
inserted via Alt+keypad

'

ActiveDocument.Tables.Add Range:=Selection.Range, NumRows:=1,
NumColumns:=3

Selection.TypeText Text:="Alt + Numeric Keypad"

Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell

Selection.TypeText Text:="Normal Font"

Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell

Selection.TypeText Text:="Symbol Font"

Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell

Symbol = 33

While Symbol 256

Selection.TypeText Text:="0" & LTrim$(Str$(Symbol))

Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell

With Selection

.InsertSymbol CharacterNumber:=Symbol, Font:="Normal",
Unicode:=False

End With

Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell

With Selection

.InsertSymbol CharacterNumber:=Symbol, Font:="Symbol",
Unicode:=False

End With

Symbol = Symbol + 1

Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell

Wend

End Sub

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Julie Paphos" Julie wrote in message
I am using an English keyboard with Greek set up as second language. How
do
I type the stress marks (accents) on the vowels?

Joe McGuire

You may find what you need in this reference:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm. I know that you
can switch to a variety of other "keyboards" for vairous languages, but I
don't know if Greek is one of them. Even if you can it may be a challenge
to remember what character/symbol goes with which key on the actual keyboard
you are using--unless you figure out a way to get a keyboard that would
probably be used with PCs in that country.

"Julie Paphos" Julie wrote in message
I am using an English keyboard with Greek set up as second language. How
do
I type the stress marks (accents) on the vowels?

Graham Mayor

If your sig. suggests that (like me) you live in Paphos, then the simplest
answer is to pop along to (say) Runstop and buy a Greek / English keyboard
for a few pounds. This will have both key layouts printed on the key caps
and you can use Windows regional settings to switch between them.