Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MatthewTap

Default Is it possible to generate footer based on data?

I have a footer that is populated with the current page's "Heading 2"; and I
use this template often.

However, sometimes the work I do does not include having a "Heading 2", and
so obviously I can just delete that part of the footer.

But, I was wondering if there's any way that I could have the footer
populate the field if there is a Heading 2.

[to have it populate the Heading 2 in the footer, I go to:
Insert
Field
switch the "Categories:" drop down to "Links and References"
in the resulting Field names: list I click on "StyleRef"
And then click on "Heading 2" in the resulting Style name: list.

.... in case that helps]

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks, and happy new year!
Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You could use a conditional field eg

{ IF{ STYLEREF "Heading 2" } "Error*" "{ STYLEREF "Heading 2" }" }

This checks for the error message that occurs when there is no named style
and only inserts the Styleref field when the error doesn't occur. This
certainly works in Word 2003 at least.

http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_wor...s.htm#Styleref

MatthewTap wrote:
I have a footer that is populated with the current page's "Heading
2"; and I use this template often.

However, sometimes the work I do does not include having a "Heading
2", and so obviously I can just delete that part of the footer.

But, I was wondering if there's any way that I could have the footer
populate the field if there is a Heading 2.

[to have it populate the Heading 2 in the footer, I go to:
Insert
Field
switch the "Categories:" drop down to "Links and References"
in the resulting Field names: list I click on "StyleRef"
And then click on "Heading 2" in the resulting Style name: list.

... in case that helps]

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks, and happy new year!
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MatthewTap

Graham --

Thanks -- much appreciated.

Matt

MatthewTap wrote:
I have a footer that is populated with the current page's "Heading
2"; and I use this template often.

However, sometimes the work I do does not include having a "Heading
2", and so obviously I can just delete that part of the footer.

But, I was wondering if there's any way that I could have the footer
populate the field if there is a Heading 2.

[to have it populate the Heading 2 in the footer, I go to:
Insert
Field
switch the "Categories:" drop down to "Links and References"
in the resulting Field names: list I click on "StyleRef"
And then click on "Heading 2" in the resulting Style name: list.

... in case that helps]

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks, and happy new year!
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You are welcome

MatthewTap wrote:
Graham --

Thanks -- much appreciated.

Matt

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You could use a conditional field eg

{ IF{ STYLEREF "Heading 2" } "Error*" "{ STYLEREF "Heading 2"
}" }