Jakob

Default Equations and numbering

I have had continuous problems with equations and how to number them. I have
tried with caption but that solution can only place number above or below. I
have also tried with making a new style and using numbering, but with that
feature I can only place the number to the left of the equation.
I need a solution were I can refer to the number from other places in text
and the numbering should be dynamic.
Looking forward for an answer
Jakob, DK

katin42

If you might share what version of Word you are using, someone might be able
to offer more specifice options.

Another one to consider is using templates. I did a search within
templates, entering keyword: indexing, and got 19 results. It might not be
what you had in mind, but possible.

"Jakob" wrote:

I have had continuous problems with equations and how to number them. I have
tried with caption but that solution can only place number above or below. I
have also tried with making a new style and using numbering, but with that
feature I can only place the number to the left of the equation.
I need a solution were I can refer to the number from other places in text
and the numbering should be dynamic.
Looking forward for an answer
Jakob, DK

Bob Mathews

On 22-Jun-2005, Jakob wrote:

I have had continuous problems with equations and how to number
them. I have tried with caption but that solution can only place
number above or below. I have also tried with making a new style
and using numbering, but with that feature I can only place the
number to the left of the equation. I need a solution were I can refer
to the number from other places in text and the numbering should
be dynamic.

Until you got to that last requirement (that it be dynamic), I was going to
recommend you use either tabs or a 1x3 table. Our "Equation Editor Tips &
Tricks" tip #4 discusses the "tab" method. T&T is at
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/ee/ee_tips.htm.

Now about that dynamic part...

MathType (the full-featured version of Equation Editor) does exactly that.
The equation number can be at either the left or right margin and can be
dynamically referenced in the text. If you add a numbered equation, all the
numbers & references below that will renumber automatically. If you remove a
numbered equation (or just its equation number), the renumbering isn't
automatic, but there's an icon on the MathType toolbar in Word that does the
renumbering.

You can get a free 30-day evaluation of MathType at the link in my sig.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training