Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jackie

Default HELP - Styles

I've posted this problem before but was unable to find a solution.
I've set up heading styles according to the recommended method on these
boards. All of my style documents are templates. Some users are
trying to amend the paragraphs manually. In some cases when they do
this (usually by changing the indent or tabbing) this direct formatting
seems to be attaching itself to the style and from that point on the
indent is 'off'. Automatically update is not ticked in the style
definitions. Can anyone explain why this can happen? And is there
anything I can do to avoid it? I know I can take the direct
formatting out but this doesn't work as the styles seems to have
updated itself in each case. This is happening with more and more
users and is driving me crazy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

At first, verify that it isn't in fact direct formatting: Select the
text and press Ctrl+SpaceBar (to remove font formatting) and then
press Ctrl+Q (to remove paragraph formatting).

Another thing to consider: Are the heading styles based on another
style (by default, they are based on the Normal style)? If so, your
users could be changing the parent style, which would cause the
headings to inherit it. And if the parent has the "Automatically
update" option turned on, modifications would of course automatically
be transferred to the child (doesn't apply to properties explicitly
changed in the child style, though).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jackie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've posted this problem before but was unable to find a solution.
I've set up heading styles according to the recommended method on

these
boards. All of my style documents are templates. Some users are
trying to amend the paragraphs manually. In some cases when they do
this (usually by changing the indent or tabbing) this direct

formatting
seems to be attaching itself to the style and from that point on the
indent is 'off'. Automatically update is not ticked in the style
definitions. Can anyone explain why this can happen? And is there
anything I can do to avoid it? I know I can take the direct
formatting out but this doesn't work as the styles seems to have
updated itself in each case. This is happening with more and more
users and is driving me crazy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jackie

Thanks for gettting back to me Stefan. my heading 1 is based on no
style and the subsequent headings based on the one before.
Automatically update is not ticked in any of them. It seems to happen
most often to heading 3. Is there a setting a user can have ticked in
their options that enables them to update styles when they apply direct
formatting. As I mentioned before - it seems to be that they apply
director formatting, then this sticks to the style and it applies in
that format each time they use after that. By the time they contact me
the damage has been done.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

Unless users are updating styles by example, which also makes it
possible to turn on the auto updating (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html), I don't
know what could cause this.

--
Stefan Blom