L. Johnson in NC

Default Embedded Excel Spreadsheet Malfunction

Using OfficeXP, I have 30 or so Excel spreadsheets embedded in a single Word
doc. Intermittently, after I repeatedly edit an embedded sheet, it fails.
The image of the sheet is still visible, but I can no longer edit it (the
shortcut menu will no longer display the menu pick "worksheet object.").
Field codes still display as {embed excel.sheet 8}. Is this a known issue or
is my copy of Word, Excel or Windows broken?