Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MoiraT

Default How do I print a recipient list in a mail merge document in XP

I use mail merge at work. since getting new computer which has XP I am unable
to print a copy of the recipient list attached to a mail merge document. I
am able to merge letters etc for clinic appointments but cannot now print a
recipient list to give the admin at the clinics involved. Help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

To do this in Word,
a. create a new mailmerge using the "Directory" type merge in the first
step in the Mail Merge Wizard (if that is what you are using.
b. Use the existing recipient list as the data source.
c. Put the fields you want in directory in a table consisting of a single
row and as many columns as there are fields.
d. Do not put anything else in the document - get rid of any space before
and after the table.
e. perform a merge to a new document (with a directory merge, you are
limited to that anyway
f. if you need table headings, you can
(1) use Table|Insert Rows Above to create a new row at the top of the
merged document, select the new row, then use Table|Heading Rows repeat to
repeat the headings on each page, then fill in the column names.
(2) if you always use the same layout, copy/paste that heading row into a
new document, then the next time you merge, you should be able to use
Insert|File to insert the heading row rather than re-entering it all
(3) alternatively, put a single row table with the appropriate headings in
the Header of the mail merge main document. It doesn't quite result in a
normal table layout but it does the job.
g. you may find it helpful to use a lanscape page layout, reducing the left
and right margins to (say) 0.5 in or 1cm. If the landscape list needs to go
in a ring binder, leave a 1in/2.5cm margin at the top.

Peter Jamieson
news