Rugger077

Default Word 2000 -- Form Text in All Fields

Hello,

I am having a problem with a Form Template that is used by about twenty
different users. These users modify this template, save the document to each
of their folders on a shared drive, and repeat this process as new data needs
to be entered.

My problem is this. Once the users save the document, it becomes available
to all 20 workers including myself for review.

However, when I come to this one persons folders, all I see is the template.
What I mean is I can access the file, but when I open it up all fields say
FORM TEXT. When others in group open the same files up, they all see the data
in the fields. I open everyones elses folders and check their work, and I can
see the data on those word documents fine. But its just this one persons
files that I can't see the data where others can.

Can someone help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Jay Freedman

When you see FORMTEXT you're seeing field codes. Press Alt+F9 to switch to
field results.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Rugger077 wrote:
[...]

Rugger077

Jay,
I don't think I explained my problem the right way. What I mean is the
word document already contains data in all the fields that say FORM TEXT.
Other people can see the data that is there except myself, whereas I see
{FORM TEXT}.
I may be misunderstanding your solution. I pressed ALT F9 and it didn't do
anything. COuld this be software problem w/ Word 2000?
Thanks for your patience...

George

Rugger077 wrote:
[...]

Jay Freedman

Hi George,

Sorry, I forgot that when the document is protected (as it must be to let
the form fields work), Alt+F9 is disabled, which is why you don't see a
change. The solution is correct, but you need another step first.

To switch to form field results, you'll have to unprotect the document first
(click Tools Unprotect Document), and then press Alt+F9. Unfortunately, in
Word 2000 if you then reprotect the document, Word will clear all the data
out of the fields! The solution to that is to use the macro presented at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...lfResetOff.htm. Instructions for
installing the macro are at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Rugger077 wrote:
[...]

Jay's answer is still correct, but you probably won't be able to use Alt+F9
while viewing the form because it is protected. Instead, back out, open
another document, press Alt+F9 (or clear the check box for "Field codes" on
the View tab of Tools | Options), leave that document open, and reopen the
form.

Rugger077 wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

The acto of protecting the form should be sufficient to toggle the display,
but the following macto will toggle the display whether or not the form is
protected

Sub FieldCodes()
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = _
Not ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes