Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ngan

Default Cell referencing in table formulas - just ONE adjacent cell

Hi,
How do you reference just ONE cell adjacent to the current cell? I know
Word provides ABOVE, BELOW, LEFT, RIGHT for ALL the cells above, below, left,
and right, but I don't need all the cells! I just need a very very simple
formula that adds 1 to the value of the cell right above it.
Please help.
Thanks
-ngan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Greg Maxey

All tables cells have a reference. A1 is the first cell in the top
left corner. B1 is to its right and A2 is below it.

Just enter the cell reference of the cell above your cell holding the
formula. For example, if you have a 5 by 5 table and want the formula
in cell C3 then enter {=Sum(C2,1)}

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ngan

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your response. Sorry I failed to mention that I tried this
method and even though it works, I can't copy this formula down the column
since the cell references are absolute. That means I have to manually modify
each cell to SUM(a1, 1), SUM(a2, 1), SUM(a3, 1) etc... and it's a pain when
you have a lot of cells to fill ...
I guess my question is more hypothetical than practical - if you can't have
relative cell referencing in Word, are there not any keywords to reference
adjacent cells besides ABOVE, BELOW, LEFT, and RIGHT?
Thanks much again!
-ngan

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

All tables cells have a reference. A1 is the first cell in the top
left corner. B1 is to its right and A2 is below it.

Just enter the cell reference of the cell above your cell holding the
formula. For example, if you have a 5 by 5 table and want the formula
in cell C3 then enter {=Sum(C2,1)}

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ngan

Thank you! That's what I was afraid. I just wanted to make sure I didn't
miss some keywords that can help referencing cells relatively.
Thanks again,
-ngan

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

All tables cells have a reference. A1 is the first cell in the top
left corner. B1 is to its right and A2 is below it.

Just enter the cell reference of the cell above your cell holding the
formula. For example, if you have a 5 by 5 table and want the formula
in cell C3 then enter {=Sum(C2,1)}

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Ngan,

There are workarounds that allow the use of relative referencing for
formulae copied down Word table columns. See 'Relative Referencing In
Tables' in my Word Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Cheers