Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LaurenM LaurenM is offline

Default Normal.dot

Hi all,

One of my users is having an issue with her normal.dot template.
Occasionally (although it is happening more frequently now) she gets the
message when closing out of Word that "Changes have been made to the global
template. Do you want to Save?" She doesn't consciously make changes to the
template so she presses "No". After that, she can't open any Word document
except for in "Read Only". Sometimes she can't open a Word document at all. I
have deleted the normal.dot , restarted her computer and opened Word again to
recreate it but still the problem keeps happening. This is driving her and me
crazy. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office but the issue happened even
after that! Is there anything I can do to resolve this once and for all? She
is using Office 2003 and Windows XP. I would appreciate any helpful advice on
this issue.

Thanks!
LaurenM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Re-installing Office isn't going to change anything. What happens if she
agrees to save normal.dot? Does the nag go away?

Renaming normal.dot might be a step in the right direction. Check also for
orphan temporary files
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm and check whether you
have any errant add-ins
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm

LaurenM wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LaurenM LaurenM is offline

Thank you, Mr. Mayor, for your advice. I will try your suggestions on my
user's computer and hopefully this issue will be put to bed!

Thank you again!
LaurenM