Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
clarkworks clarkworks is offline

Default How to preserve font size while pasting.

I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003. When I copy/paste text from one Word
document to another, the varied font sizes aren't being preserved. For
example: I'll have a title in Times New Roman 12, the space before the next
line is a font size 6, then the following text is a font size 10. When I
paste it to a new document, the size 12 and size 6 fonts transfers ok, but
the size 10 font changes to 12. From what I've read, I think the 6 stays
because it's not ordinarily in Word 2003, but the 10 is changing to 12
because it's inconsistent with the title? But I can't figure out what
setting needs adjusting to preserve what I'm doing. To complicate things, it
doesn't happen every time. Some files have text that pastes correctly, but I
can't find any differences in the files. Back when I was doing this between
Microsoft Works documents and Word 6.0/95 docs, I never had this problem.
I've really tried to figure this out through help, but have had no luck. I
hope someone out there knows what's going on with this. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might try experimenting with the settings in Tools - Options - Edit -
Settings (in the Cut and paste options section).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"clarkworks" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
clarkworks clarkworks is offline

Thanks for trying to help me Herb. I did try different things with the tools
options, but nothing seemed to work. Then I tried to do a close comparison
between one document that always changed font size when pasted and one
document that always retained it's font size when pasting. I could find no
differences between the two. All the checked boxes in the tools options and
the cut/paste settings were exactly the same. The settings that are off must
be someplace else. (I also tried making sure I stopped hi-lighting before
the final paragraph mark, but that didn't make a difference either.) I'm
really stumped with this and it's really going to hinder the project I'm
working on.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When I paste, I usually want the formatting in the receiving document to
take precedence. If that were your aim, there'd be an easy solution--Edit,
Paste Special, Unformatted (so the formatting is whatever is applied in the
document where you're pasting). If you're getting inconsistent results, the
cause might be some kind of low-level document corruption in the existing
document.

Presumably, if you paste into a brand new document, you always get the
identical behavior... right?