Nadia

Default formatted paragraph shading top of 2nd column appears bottom 1st c

Hi guys,
I have a 10 page 2 column document with various headings throughout each
column. Each heading has a line above and is shaded. I may have 3 or 4
headings per column and I always start the 2nd column of each page with a
heading. Everything is great except for ONE heading..... it is at the
beginning of the 2nd column but the formatting (shading, line) appears at the
bottom of the 1st column. I have tried everything to get rid of it but it
either appears in both paragraphs or removes from both. It is identical in
layout/format as every other page. It is driving me CRAZY.
cheers,
Nadia

This is a chronic problem with manual page and column breaks, which inherit
the formatting of the following paragraph. It can be solved for page breaks
by using the "Page break before" property instead of a manual page break,
but unfortunately there is no "Column break before" property. The only
workaround I know of is to apply "Keep with next" to the heading and enough
following paragraphs to force them to the second column before the first is
full.

"Nadia" wrote in message
Hi guys,
I have a 10 page 2 column document with various headings throughout each
column. Each heading has a line above and is shaded. I may have 3 or 4
headings per column and I always start the 2nd column of each page with a
heading. Everything is great except for ONE heading..... it is at the
beginning of the 2nd column but the formatting (shading, line) appears at

the
bottom of the 1st column. I have tried everything to get rid of it but it
either appears in both paragraphs or removes from both. It is identical in
layout/format as every other page. It is driving me CRAZY.
cheers,
Nadia

Nadia

Thanks Suzanne.
At least I know Im not crazy. I had a feeling it was another "issue" to live
with. Funny how it only is affecting one paragraph in the whole document.

Thank you for your help.
Nadia

"Nadia" wrote in message
Hi guys,
I have a 10 page 2 column document with various headings throughout each
column. Each heading has a line above and is shaded. I may have 3 or 4
headings per column and I always start the 2nd column of each page with a
heading. Everything is great except for ONE heading..... it is at the
beginning of the 2nd column but the formatting (shading, line) appears at

the
bottom of the 1st column. I have tried everything to get rid of it but it
either appears in both paragraphs or removes from both. It is identical in
layout/format as every other page. It is driving me CRAZY.
cheers,
Nadia

Is that the only one before which you have a manual column break?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a chronic problem with manual page and column breaks, which

inherit
the formatting of the following paragraph. It can be solved for page

breaks
by using the "Page break before" property instead of a manual page

break,
but unfortunately there is no "Column break before" property. The only
workaround I know of is to apply "Keep with next" to the heading and

enough
following paragraphs to force them to the second column before the first

is
full.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.