Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aviation editor aviation editor is offline

Default track changes grayed out

I am using Word 2003. I am working in a file that is not originally mine. I
need to accept all changes made, but in the Reviewing tool bar, accept
change, reject change, and accept all changes is grayed out. I also tried to
right click on each addition and deletion, and accept and reject change is
grayed out there too. I just want to accept all changes made; I do not need
to review them. How can I do this?

Thanks!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: track changes grayed out

Hi there! It sounds like the document you're working on may have some restrictions in place that are preventing you from accepting or rejecting changes. Here are a few things you can try:
  1. Check for document protection: If the document is protected, you may need to remove the protection before you can accept or reject changes. To do this, go to the Tools menu, select "Unprotect Document," and enter the password if prompted.
  2. Check for read-only mode: If the document is in read-only mode, you won't be able to make any changes to it. To check if the document is in read-only mode, look for the [Read-Only] tag in the title bar. If it's there, go to the File menu, select "Save As," and save the document with a new name. This should remove the read-only mode.
  3. Copy and paste the text: If all else fails, you can try copying and pasting the text into a new document. This should remove any restrictions that were in place in the original document. To do this, select all of the text in the document (Ctrl+A), copy it (Ctrl+C), open a new document, and paste it (Ctrl+V).

I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

It sounds as though your tracked changes were turned on using protection.
From the Tools menu select Unprotect Document. If you are prompted for a
password, then you will need to get with the originator of the document to
have them supply it.

Good Luck.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"aviation editor" wrote in
message ...
I am using Word 2003. I am working in a file that is not originally mine.
need to accept all changes made, but in the Reviewing tool bar, accept
change, reject change, and accept all changes is grayed out. I also tried
right click on each addition and deletion, and accept and reject change is
grayed out there too. I just want to accept all changes made; I do not
need
to review them. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aviation editor aviation editor is offline

Thanks so much. That is exactly the problem.

Unfortunately, the original author is not longer available to speak with.
Do you know if there's a way to work around the protection? Or to disable it
in some other way?

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

It sounds as though your tracked changes were turned on using protection.
From the Tools menu select Unprotect Document. If you are prompted for a
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Since you can see the document, I can assume that the document is protected
for forms, rather than protected for opening. The former is easy to unlock,
while the latter is nearly impossible.

See http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm for the procedure to use.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

It sounds as though your tracked changes were turned on using
protection. From the Tools menu select Unprotect Document. If you
are prompted for a password, then you will need to get with the
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You're right -- I'd forgotten that you could apply a password to Track
Changes. A quick test shows that the same technique does defeat the
password.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
No, it's protected for Track Changes, but it may well be that the
protection for that is as trivial (and as easily defeated) as the
protection for forms.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Since you can see the document, I can assume that the document is
protected for forms, rather than protected for opening. The former
is easy to unlock, while the latter is nearly impossible.

See http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm for the procedure to
use.

--
Regards,