Norman Lowe

Default The first item in the drop-down list can't be selected?

The first item in our drop-down box is not recognized and cannot be selected
for use. The second item appears as the default when the box is closed. We
are using Word 2000 ver. 9.0.

The drop-down box has twenty items, the maximum allowed.

Any suggestions?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Tm9ybWFuIExvd2U=?=,

The first item in our drop-down box is not recognized and cannot be selected
for use. The second item appears as the default when the box is closed. We
are using Word 2000 ver. 9.0.

The drop-down box has twenty items, the maximum allowed.

Doesn't sound quite right... A form field dropdown will allow 25 items; I
assume this is what you have? Can you list the first four or five items,
exactly as they appear in the dropdown OPTIONS (where they were entered)? Then
we can test whether the problem also appears on other installations...

You might also try inserting a new dropdown, separated by a few characters from
this one, and see if it behaves as you'd expect. If it does, then delete the
first one.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Norman Lowe

Thanks for your help Cindy,

Here's what we tried: we moved the top item down in the list and what had
been the second item became the default "first" item. It then showed as the
default item but could not be selected. The one we wanted to use was
available since it had become the second item in the list.

We put them back in the original order and the original problem returned.

What if I were to attach the file to a reply so you could see it in action?
Is that an option in the forum?

If not, then I can list the items, but the person who has that file is out
of the office for a couple of days and I do not know how soon she can email
me the file.

I'll ask for it and then reply again when I receive it.

Thanks again,

Norm

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Tm9ybWFuIExvd2U=?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Tm9ybWFuIExvd2U=?=,

Here's what we tried: we moved the top item down in the list and what had
been the second item became the default "first" item. It then showed as the
default item but could not be selected. The one we wanted to use was
available since it had become the second item in the list.

We put them back in the original order and the original problem returned.

What if I were to attach the file to a reply so you could see it in action?
Is that an option in the forum?

If not, then I can list the items, but the person who has that file is out
of the office for a couple of days and I do not know how soon she can email
me the file.

If I look at a file, I charge consulting rates :-) It would also make sense for
you to test a new dropdown field (and also a new field in a different doc) with
the same items before you list them here. If it's simply a damaged field in the
document, that should fix it.