Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andy Sheppard Andy Sheppard is offline

Default Full path to files

Hi all!

Long time Excel/Word linking geek, first time poster. Graham Mayor turned
me on to this NG.

Q: Is there a way around using the full path in my links? I run everything
across a server, so the full path usually ends up being a monsterous thing
like ////pbw_dc1//vol1//data//jobs//7000s//7065JobFolder/blank.gif just to
get an if/then/else includepicture to post a blank pixel if the condition
isn't met.

The problem comes in when I (or somebody else...) uses a mapped drive "J:"
to open excel and/or word. For some reason, the mapping puts the full path
in title case, whereas the original/existing links are all in lower case.
If somebody makes a new paste special link after having opened it up from J:
[which dumps straight into 7000s until 7000s is full, then J: = 7100s,
etc.], it will have links with lower case and links with upper case. This
inevitably crashes links and gives me errors...

Seems like you could just say something to the effect of "/" to designate
that it is coming from the current folder, but I don't know.

Thanks for the help. This won't be my last question. ;-)

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Seems like you could just say something to the effect of "/" to designate
that it is coming from the current folder, but I don't know.

You can certainly try a path like

{ INCLUDEPICTURE ".\\blank.gif" }

or

{ INCLUDEPICTURE "./blank.gif" }

but the usual problem with that is that these paths are relative to the
/current directory/, which may not actually be the same as the one where
(for example) the currently open document is stored.

If you are making copies of the .gifs in the same folder as the word file
you are opening, you /may/ be able to get away with specifying the .gif
relative to the full path name of the document, e.g. via

{ INCLUDEPICTURE "{ FILENAME /p }\\..\\blank.gif" }

or

{ INCLUDEPICTURE "{ FILENAME /p }/../blank.gif" }

This certainly works in some cases but whether it will work in the scenario
you describe I cannot tell.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Andy Sheppard" wrote in message
[...]

Right end of full path in title bar [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 5 August 3rd 07 05:10 AM
show full path smk23 Page Layout 1 March 19th 07 01:28 PM
full path name Pam Microsoft Word Help 0 February 27th 07 08:40 PM
Full Path of a file name trvlnmny New Users 6 January 22nd 07 10:57 AM
Hyperlinks being cut off, or not full path Astrophe Microsoft Word Help 3 July 4th 05 02:20 AM