Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LA Lawyer LA Lawyer is offline

Default Using pdf files in Word 2007

I am trying to use Word (using data from Access) to fill out forms that are
available in pdf format. I assume that I can put the pdf into a header or
watermark or the like and then lay the data over it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to import pdfs as "pictures" into Word.

What are/is the best way(s) to approach this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm not sure whether Adobe Reader has this capability or not, but Acrobat
allows you to select an area and take a "snapshot." This can then be
inserted as a graphic.

http://word.mvps.org

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I am trying to use Word (using data from Access) to fill out forms that are
available in pdf format. I assume that I can put the pdf into a header or
watermark or the like and then lay the data over it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to import pdfs as "pictures" into Word.

What are/is the best way(s) to approach this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That is the correct approach but Word does not read PDFs. My usual solution
is to scan the forms and insert the scanned image into the header and adjust
it to fill the page so that is is as near perfect size as the original. Then
depending on how much data input is needed, either use anchored Text Boxes
or Tables to layout to match the underlying form. Then print making sure to
include drawing objects (the background form).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I am trying to use Word (using data from Access) to fill out forms that
are available in pdf format. I assume that I can put the pdf into a
header or watermark or the like and then lay the data over it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to import pdfs as "pictures" into Word.

What are/is the best way(s) to approach this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Reader does allow that but it doesn't show that item in the toolbar by
default.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I am trying to use Word (using data from Access) to fill out forms that
are available in pdf format. I assume that I can put the pdf into a
header or watermark or the like and then lay the data over it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to import pdfs as "pictures" into Word.

What are/is the best way(s) to approach this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You don't get to choose the format: Acrobat/Adobe Reader just copies the
selection to the Clipboard and you paste it into Word.

http://word.mvps.org

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I am trying to use Word (using data from Access) to fill out forms that
are available in pdf format. I assume that I can put the pdf into a
header or watermark or the like and then lay the data over it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to import pdfs as "pictures" into Word.

What are/is the best way(s) to approach this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

I tried to paste an almost full page table into a header but only the top
half pasted. Do you have any idea why? Also, lining up the text boxes and/or
tables is not so simple. The text boxes definitely have a mind of their own
when it comes to moving them. Using the up/down arrows sometimes results in
the opposite action. Can you help me understand this?

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I am trying to use Word (using data from Access) to fill out forms that
are available in pdf format. I assume that I can put the pdf into a
header or watermark or the like and then lay the data over it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to import pdfs as "pictures" into Word.

What are/is the best way(s) to approach this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Check the H&F margins under Page Layout. If the Footer margin is set too
high, the Header won't 'trespass' in its space. Also check that the table
isn't too big as it may be splitting and the missing bit is hidden in
'hyperspace'.

Positioning Text Boxes - in common with other drawing objects - is
controlled by the snap to function. This (usually) invisible grid can be
overridden by either turning it off or by holding down the Alt key whilst
moving the object. Also, for really precise positioning, you can right-click
on a Text Box border and choose Format Text Box, Layout tab and enter exact
measurements with respect to page or margin.

Table positioning can also be made accurate by a similar method using Table
Properties dialog.

But why are you putting a table into the Header? I thought that you were
going to be putting a scanned form image into the Header so that you can
create fill in fields in the text layer?

Terry

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I am trying to use Word (using data from Access) to fill out forms that
are available in pdf format. I assume that I can put the pdf into a
header or watermark or the like and then lay the data over it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to import pdfs as "pictures" into Word.

What are/is the best way(s) to approach this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

I will try to answer your questions in order. I am still in search of a
viable solution.

I set my Footer margin to 0 and it didn't help. There seems to be a certain
amount of space between the header and footer that is sacred and cannot be
adjusted.

The table takes up almost the entire page and when pasted, it's not missing
"a bit" but almost half.

I have used the Alt and Control keys while positioning text boxes and
drawing objects with the same inexplicable results. I know I can right-click
and put in the exact position but that would require me to measure the table
columns vertical and horizontal positions precisely. Why can't I just drag?
Have you encountered the same bizarre behavior?

Will scanning the image into the Header make a difference or will it be cut
off the same way. The scanned image I received from someone is not quite
straight so I preferred to create my own table to using it.

TIA

Guy

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I am trying to use Word (using data from Access) to fill out forms that
are available in pdf format. I assume that I can put the pdf into a
header or watermark or the like and then lay the data over it.

There doesn't seem to be a way to import pdfs as "pictures" into Word.

What are/is the best way(s) to approach this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Inline header text cannot exceed the top half of the page, but objects
anchored to the header can be anywhere on the page; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.

http://word.mvps.org