Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GTS

Default Word 2003 erractic title caps

Merging from Excel spreadhseet contaning names & addresses all in caps. I
use If-then-else to get correct formating for name and address and
salutation. I use *\Caps for formal capitalization.
Having gone through the new merge wizard to the preview stage, all is fine
and every record displays correctly.
But I was amazed when I sent to printer that some mergefields went back to
all caps - 500 wasted sheets! Went back to preview letters and preview shows
same thing. Move to next record then back again and preview now again
showing correct formatting. Try printing again it's back to caps! Hmmm.
Unticked 'update fields' in options - print. No difference.
Tried printing a few records - all OK. Did the same few records again -
some fields all caps again!
Completely bamboozled. I have been merging letters like this for ages never
had this problem. The only difference this time is more IF-THEN statements
required due to source data. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Try executing the merge to a new document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"GTS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Also, try unchecking the "Background Printing" box under
ToolsOptionsPrint.

--

"GTS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GTS

Also, try unchecking the "Background Printing" box under
ToolsOptionsPrint.

--
Hope this helps.

Thank you for the ideas Doug. Unchecking 'Background printing' made no
difference, even if 'Update fields' was unchecked too.
However merge to new document did work, and all records print properly. I
would prefer not merging to a new doc as many of our merges are several
pages, and go to 3,500 records!
As I said never had this problem before, and still puzzled as to why. Is it
just another glitch with the new merge in Word 2002 / 2003?
Graham