Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Markesia Markesia is offline

Default my spell checker is greyed out when try to run it in word 2007

the last couple of days my spell checker in word 2007 is greyed out when i
try to run it to correct spelling mistakes. It won't let me choose the
correct spelling of the word it want. Should i uninstall office 2007 and then
reinstall it back?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NYSA-HD NYSA-HD is offline

Is your spell checker greyed out on all documents or are you possibly using
Word Forms which grey the formatting toolbar?

"Markesia" wrote:

the last couple of days my spell checker in word 2007 is greyed out when i
try to run it to correct spelling mistakes. It won't let me choose the
correct spelling of the word it want. Should i uninstall office 2007 and then
reinstall it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Markesia Markesia is offline

it's grayed out on when i use it on word documents. excel,powerpoint and
access documents are fine.

"Markesia" wrote:

the last couple of days my spell checker in word 2007 is greyed out when i
try to run it to correct spelling mistakes. It won't let me choose the
correct spelling of the word it want. Should i uninstall office 2007 and then
reinstall it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. Verify settings in Word 2007:
a. Open a document that has this problem, press Ctrl+A to select all of
the text.
b. Click on Review tab | Proofing: Set Language | choose your language
| uncheck the "Detect language automatically" and "Do not check spelling
or grammar" boxes | Default | OK.
c. Click on Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | check the "Check
spelling as you type" and "Check grammar with spelling" boxes | uncheck
the "Hide spelling errors in this document only" and "Hide grammar
errors in this document only" boxes | OK.

2. If the previous suggestion doesn't help, then in Word 2007 click on
Office Button | Word Options | Add-Ins | Manage: Disabled Items. If you
see any disabled items that relate to spelling, try enabling them.

3. If the previous two suggestions don't help, then:
a. Close Word and any other open applications.
b. Click on Start | Run | Open: regedit .
c. If the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override" exists, delete it.
d. Exit regedit.
e. Restart your computer.

Markesia wrote:

the last couple of days my spell checker in word 2007 is greyed out when i
try to run it to correct spelling mistakes. It won't let me choose the
correct spelling of the word it want. Should i uninstall office 2007 and then
reinstall it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Markesia Markesia is offline

i don't want to delete anything in the registry so do you think that
uninstalling the office 2007 wil help?

Markesia wrote:

the last couple of days my spell checker in word 2007 is greyed out when i
try to run it to correct spelling mistakes. It won't let me choose the
correct spelling of the word it want. Should i uninstall office 2007 and then
reinstall it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is designed to retain personalisations so uninstalling Office will not
remove the registry entry. If present you will have to remove it yourself.

Markesia wrote:

the last couple of days my spell checker in word 2007 is greyed out
when i try to run it to correct spelling mistakes. It won't let me
choose the correct spelling of the word it want. Should i uninstall
office 2007 and then reinstall it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Markesia Markesia is offline

i saw something called 1.0 in the proofing tools folder which is connected to
the custom dictionaries in that folder i saw 1 reg_sz custom.dic,1_culturetag
reg_szen-us, 1_state regbinary 01 00 00 00. i still don't want to mess up
anything. which one do i delete?

Markesia wrote:

the last couple of days my spell checker in word 2007 is greyed out
when i try to run it to correct spelling mistakes. It won't let me
choose the correct spelling of the word it want. Should i uninstall
office 2007 and then reinstall it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The only registry entry relevant to this issue is

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing
Tools\1.0\Override"

That is the key (if present) to delete. There are no 'folders' involved.
Type 'regedit' in Windows Start Run and press the enter key. In the left
window, expand the entries and locate the above registry key entry. If
present, select the entry and delete it. If not present, this is not the
problem. Don't delete anything else!

Markesia wrote:

the last couple of days my spell checker in word 2007 is greyed
out when i try to run it to correct spelling mistakes. It won't
let me choose the correct spelling of the word it want. Should i
uninstall office 2007 and then reinstall it back?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If that isn't the problem try the following which someone suggested in a
similar thread::

1. Click Office icon Word Options Add-Ins
2. At the bottom, select Disabled Items from Manage drop down box Go
3. Msspell6.dll or some speller files display select it and click Enable
4. Exit Word and relaunch Word