Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Default Transfering Excel data into Word data file

Since I have been unable to solve the DDE problem (refer to Sept. 30 post
below), concerning the use of Excel name and address data files being used
by Word merge files, I have created a name and address file (Header and
Data) in Word instead. For some reason, this works, whereas attempts to use
an Excel data file does not.

However, two things arise. The Header file that I use is long enough that I
cannot view all of the fields on the monitor, and there is no ability to
scroll across the page.

Secondly, I do keep numeric information in some of the fields in the Data
file, which is why I originally used an Excel-based data file. Formerly, to
update any data in the Excel data file, I would simply copy the incoming
data from selected columns in incoming Excel spreadsheets, and copy the data
into the appropriate fields in the name and address spreadsheet. Is there a
way that I can take incoming data from Excel spreadsheets and copy it into
the Word name and address file (i.e, the new data file)? Or, will I have to
type it in manually, a laborious process?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson[_2_] Peter Jamieson[_2_] is offline

There may be a simple way, but the way it looks to me is as follows:

It depends partly on what layout you are using.

If your data source in Word is set up as a table, then in theory you could
a. select the cells you need to copy
b. Edit-Copy
c. Select the same number and layout of cells in the Word table
d. Edit-Paste

Unfortunately, this does not always work because Word only wants to paste
cells that had data in them. You may copy a 2 x 2 block, but if one of the
cells is empty, Word tries to paste a row with one cell and a second row
with 2 cells. It doesn't work.

If you are using a tab-delimited format you may be able to do something
similar but in step c) you will have to select the stuff you want to replace
then use Paste-Special and select a suitable text format to paste

Peter Jamieson

On 01/10/2008 20:49, in article ,
"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson[_2_] Peter Jamieson[_2_] is offline

Normal view is the only way I know. You can increase the page size but
there's a maximum (23in wide or some such) and even with tiny font sizes
it's not really workable.

Peter Jamieson

On 02/10/2008 00:04, in article ,
"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

My thanks for your post, Peter.

I find that if one copies a column of Excel data, but only highlights the
first cell of the Word data file into which one is going to copy said data,
Word tries to place all of the data in that first cell. But, if one
highlights all of the cells in the Word column, it appears to work.

Do you have any thoughts as to how to show columns (I have maybe 15-20) in
the Word data file that are on the right, and which do not appear in the
Print Layout view? (They do appear under Normal view.) The scroll bar at
the bottom of the window does not permit one to scroll far enough to the
right in order to bring these rightmost columns into view.

Gordon

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson[_2_] Peter Jamieson[_2_] is offline

On the DDE subject, because DDE is part of Windows rther than Office, I
doubt if doing an Office Check and Repair will work, but it may be worth
trying. Also, did you check the option in Excel-Tools-Options has not
changed to prevent DDE access to Excel?

There's one test it may be worth doing, which is to start Word, then insert
a { DDE } field into a blank Word document as follows:

{ DDE Winword System Sysitems }

(use ctrl-F9 to insert the special {} - everything else is text)

Select the field and use F9 to update it. The result should look something
like the following . If necessary, use Alt-F9 to see the result.

SYSITEMS TOPICS FORMATS

If that works, it says that DdE is owrking well enough for Word to be able
to communicate with itself. If not, DDE is definitely in trouble on your
system!

If it worked, you can try starting Excel, then using the same approach
except:

{ DDE Excel System Sysitems }

The result will probably be a bit different in Word 2003, but with Office
2007 I get:

SysItems Topics Status Formats Selection Protocols
EditEnvItems

Probably worth a shot just to see if it unblocks something for you.

Peter Jamieson

On 01/10/2008 20:49, in article ,
"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Sir Peter --

I had checked the Excel\Tools\Options route before, but saw no such
reference. I am using Office 2000; could such an option not be shown here?
elsewhere? Sounds like a logical path to investigate.

GB

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

For Word, I obtained the results you showed in your message. However, in
Excel, control F-9 minimizes the window without producing the brackets.
Again, this is Office 2000.

GB

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

BTW, I thought I had replied to this - the idea is that you change the field
code you had in Word, then re-execute it - ie.e. use

{ DDE Excel ... etc.

insead of

{ DDE Winword

(the only reason to have Excel open is that it makes it slightly more likely
that the DDE field will execute without problems)

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

My error. I had typed the field into an Excel spreadsheet.

When executing {DDE Excel...., the hourglass appeared, yellow lights flashed
on the desktop box, and I let it run for 20 minutes. Assuming that it was
in some sort of loop, I finally shut it down.

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, if you feel like it there's one other thing you could try, which is to
try to connect to an application that is neither Word nor Excel, using DDE.
if that works, then there's probably a problem specifically with Excel
configuration - how to fix it, I do not know, but since re-installing Office
does not typically destroy all configuration informatin for the application,
it might be a question of removing a registry entry and letting Excel
rebuild it: it's probably a question for the Excel experts.

There are various programs that should respond to DDE requests. I make all
the suggestions I can think of that involve common windows/office apps
below. When trying to connect to any of them (same with Excel) it's a good
idea to ensure that the program is started and you have dismissed any
startup dialog boxes. In some case the "program" has probably already been
started.

Then in Word, change the DDE field as follows:

Change

{ DDE WINWORD SYSTEM SYSITEMS }

to the following:

Some info. from Windows Explorer:
{ DDE FOLDERS APPPROPERTIES }

Info. from MS Access:
{ DDE MSACCESS SYSTEM SYSITEMS }

Info. from MS Query ((NB, if MS Query has been installed on your system it
will be in the appropriate office folder (same place as WINWORD.EXE) and
will be called MSQRY32.EXE):
{ DDE MSQUERY SYSTEM SYSITEMS }

Info. from Internet Explorer:
{ DDE IEXPLORE WWW_OpenURL http://www.microsoft.com }

Info. from Frontpage:
{ DDE FRONTPAGE SYSTEM SYSITEMS }

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Oh, and while we're here you can also see if DDE is working the other way
around, i.e. from Excel, by using a formula like

=WINWORD|SYSTEM!SYSITEMS

(the result is just the /first/ SYSITEM but if Excel can't execute the
command you should see one or more dialog boxes).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

,
"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Please excuse the delay. Been working in Galveston, attempting to locate
some semblance of sanity...

Typed the formula below into an Excel spreadsheet cell. Program did not
take kindly, but froze up instead. I will implement your other response
shortly.

GGB

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Tried both Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. Word hangs up (freezes)
after pressing F9 key.

GB

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, not sure where to go from here, but...
a. which version of Windows are you using? (I don't thin kthis is
particularly important but it may be useful to know)
b. can you remember installing anything - either new, or a "significant
upgrade" before the problem started occurring?
c. are you starting with a really clean system - nothing except Word/Excel
running, for example?
d. assuming you're running a virus checker, can you try disonnecting your
machine from any network, temporarily disabliing the checker, then try
again?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

FWIW here's the only reference I've come across on the web to someone fixing
this problem with a similar configuration to yours.

Putting a simple DDE field to call Excel into Word also hangs it. I think
the problem may be that DDE from Word has ceased working entirely.

I fixed this. Apparently the problem was that I had removed an old HP
OfficeJet printer driver (which was unused, and had not been selected
on either the word file or the the spreadsheet). To fix it, I removed
the application as well as the driver, cleaned the printer spooler (by
removing all drivers), and reinstalled them (which involved hacking
the registry around to reinstate the standard TCP/IP port monitor).
This appears to fix it. Therefore it seems one of the possible causes
of the DDE hang when mail-merging is to do with printer drivers.

Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Gordon Biggar" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Peter --

More hurricane clean-up to delay matters. My apologies.

The below reference is of interest, because about a month ago I installed a
wireless HP printer/fax. I am having the same merge problem on a laptop,
which also uses the same printer/fax, but then I also update that computer
with files from the desktop. Other than the infrequent updates from Windows
Update, there have been no other system changes installed.

Since I am not versed on registry clean-ups/alterations, I will be content
for the time being to use a Word-based name and address source, since that
approach works, although that is not my preference. I might try an HP web
site to see if others have had a similar problem.

My special thanks for your interest, and time devoted to my problem.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas