Default Styles change spontaneously

I am using (or trying to use) Word 2002 to build a number of documents that
are based on a template containing many user-defined styles. I have created
toolbar buttons that apply these styles.

In my documents I notice that new styles are being created spontaneously.
For example: One style is called "Project 6 Body Text." I will periodically
check my Styles and Formatting task pane only to find several other styles
called "Project 6 Body Text Char" and "Project 6 Body Text Char Char" and
"Project 6 Body Text Char Char Char." In fact, I sometimes get more than one
instance of the original style, and today a new style REPLACED my original!
When I try to delete these self-created styles, I discover that Word has
applied these styles without my knowing it. The formatting of my document
reverts to Normal Style and screws up everything.

I have no boxes checked that automatically update any styles. Where are
these styles coming from and how do I stop them from appearing. This is
maddening not to mention enormously time-consuming!