Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
lettermail lettermail is offline

Default Is there an option to print / not print headers and footers?

Is there an option to print / not print headers and footers?

After thinking and rethinking how we are going to implement a project,
there may be a simple solution.

Is there a way in Word (both PC and Mac) to have the option to print
headers and footers. I cannot seem to find it in the dialogue box when
printing, but you' dthink it should be there.

Here is why:

Let's say you want to print on letterhead, but your word template
already has the letterhead in it. You'd want to be able to turn off the
footer and header to use the actual printed stationery.

We can no longer use macros to do what we wnated to do. To see what we
were trying to do, pleae check these two threads.

Advanced MS Word Template Design Question: Image swap (2004)

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d0485da7d1c735

Advanced MS Word Template Design Question: Version 2 (2006)

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7701f0cbd26eec

Thanks in advance,
jg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

There is no simple setting, no. You can do this with a macro or styles
depending on the contents of the letterhead. If the letterhead is text only,
then you need to color the text white (not hidden because then it won't take
up space) for printing. You can do this by changing the definition of the
paragraph style(s) used in the letterhead. If you have more than one style
or have used direct font formatting, you might find it more satisfactory to
define a character style to overlay the entire text. In any case, your
macros will toggle the text color between Auto and White.

If the letterhead includes graphics, then you make them "white" by setting
the brightness to 100%.

"lettermail" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
There is no simple setting, no. You can do this with a macro or styles
depending on the contents of the letterhead. If the letterhead is text only,
then you need to color the text white (not hidden because then it won't take
up space) for printing. You can do this by changing the definition of the
paragraph style(s) used in the letterhead. If you have more than one style
or have used direct font formatting, you might find it more satisfactory to
define a character style to overlay the entire text. In any case, your
macros will toggle the text color between Auto and White.

If the letterhead includes graphics, then you make them "white" by setting
the brightness to 100%.

Ugh... that is very unfortunate. We cannot use macros.

The letterhead/footer would have to be an image.

What we really need is the option to print it both ways. With and
without graphics... and we do not want multiple copies (I.e.: no cut
and paste into a second document).

So we could create a show style (0% white) and have to apply it to a
graphic for it to print and then a hide style (as you have mentioned
100% white). It might just be faster to delete the image

back to the drawing board.

thank you,
jg

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

On 11/22/06 1:48 PM, in article
, "lettermail"
wrote:

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

If you have no other graphics in the doc that *do* need to be printed and
the graphic is not set to In Line with Text you can add/remove the check for
Drawing Objects in ToolOptionsPrint or through the Options button in the
Print dialog. You may have to do this anyway - I don't believe the 100%
white will apply to the graphic even if it is In Line.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

When the OP spoke of 100% white he meant 100% brightness. And in fact 0%
brightness would not be the opposite: the default setting for both
brightness and contrast is 50%. The chief problem with *not* printing
something (whether by formatting it as hidden, which can be done even with
graphics if they're inline, or by clearing "Drawing objects" in the Print
Options) is that you must compensate for the space the object consumes.

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .

On 11/22/06 1:48 PM, in article
, "lettermail"
wrote:

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi jg

lettermail wrote:
The letterhead/footer would have to be an image.

What we really need is the option to print it both ways. With and
without graphics... and we do not want multiple copies (I.e.: no cut
and paste into a second document).

FWIW, I usually do use "hidden" text formatting for that (put the image
into a borderless table in the H/F area with an exact cell height).

Then you can toggle printing by selecting Tools | Options | Print:
hidden text.

I usually do have a macro which toggles this, or which toggles the
hidden text property of the style in question (it's more a matter of
taste, I think, whether you prefer fiddling with the style to fiddling
with the Print setting :-)), but since you cannot use the macro, the
Print setting seems faster.

One of the real geeks might even find a built-in command to toggle this
behaviour (I somehow doubt it exists), then you could assign a keyboard
shortcut to it or put it on a toolbar (as long as you have toolbars,
that is :-)).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Robert M. Franz (RMF) wrote:

Then you can toggle printing by selecting Tools | Options | Print:
hidden text.

Hello Robert,

That sounds like the easiest option. We have to eventually have many
people doing this, so a simple option to print / not print hidden text
might be the simplest solution.

I will give this a try.

Thank you,
jg