Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ann Ann is offline

Default Word viewer

We have both Word and the viewer installed on our PCs. Everytime we save a
Word document (.doc) it shows the Viewer Icon. At first it would also open
the document with the Viewer. That was corrected for all files and now it
opens using Word...however, when a document is saved it still shows the Word
Viewer Icon. Why won't it save showing the Word Icon and how can we change
it so the default for saving is back to using Word's Icon?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

when a document is saved it still shows the Word
Viewer Icon. Why won't it save showing the Word Icon and how can we change
it so the default for saving is back to using Word's Icon?

You can change the icon associated with a file type using the Folder Options
dialog, File Types tab. Find the .doc file type and you can change the icon
there.