Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil

Default Copy and Paste Very Slow

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Have you tried Paste Special|Unformatted Text?
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil

Yes, that's one of the work-arounds, none of which should be required.
Also can copy and paste to Notepad or other text windows, then copy and
paste to Word or Excel. The problem is copying from a website, whereby
the HTML somehow really slows down the paste function in Word and
Excel. Always astonishes me that Microsoft does nothing about such
deficiencies in their software -- they have long since reached the
point where there is no threat of competition, so no need to stay on
top of customer needs.

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

I can't answer your question about why it makes it so slow, but why would you
want to paste HTML into a Word or Excel document? It makes it extremely
difficult to edit.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thrawn05

He is referring to copying text from a webpage and pasting it into Word or
Excel.

Neil, the reason for the slowdown is that when paste information from a
webpage, Word, Excel, etc... will try to contact that webpage for some odd
reason (possibly for formatting info I guess). I learned this because Kurio
firewall kept blocking Word whenever I try to paste info from a website. If
I let Word access the internet, it would take forever and the text would not
be in font style that I wanted.

There are two workarounds I find that work. One is have a software firewall
block Word, Excel, etc... . This will speed up the paste operation. Two is
to paste in the info in notepad, and then copy it again into your office
product. I prefer the second method myself.

Turning off all that fancy clipboard stuff in the office products never
solved this problem (for me anyway).

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

I am aware that he is copying from a web page (HTML) and pasting into Word or
Excel. Basically, when you paste into Notepad and then into Word or Excel
you are doing the same as Paste Special|Unformatted text.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil

Why? Because ... when I sell something on eBay and the winning bidder
pays through PayPal, I then want to copy and paste their address from
the PayPal page into Word so I can create an envelope or label. Easiest
workaround is click dragging the address, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-D (to open a
text window on AOL/IE, otherwise open Notepad), Ctrl-A to select all,
Ctrl-C, then in Word Ctrl-V. Then select the paste option to match
destination formatting. Then there is no difficulty editing, even with
the long wait if I don't do the workaround.

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Well I guess we all have our own way of doing things, but when I want to do
exactly what you're doing (copying the address from paypal) I simply
highlight it and CTRL+C (to copy) go to Word and right-click, select paste
special|Unformatted text. Of course I don't have to worry about any of the
other things because I already have a style set up for those things. You
might be interested to also know that you can have a macro on your toolbar
for Paste Special|Unformatted text.

But if you're happy taking all those extra steps, far be it from me to try
and talk you out of it. Whatever works for you!

In any event, I hope that some of this has been helpful to you.

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Amen Neil. I learn new things every day on here. I hope it works for you.
I do have to tell you though that I added Paste Special to my shortcut menu
so that it would be there when I right-clicked. Good luck! Let me know how
it works out for you.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer. Copy and
Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am copying from a
website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Add the following macro to a toolbar button:

Sub PasteUnfText()
On Error GoTo oops
Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText, Placement:= _
wdInLine
End
oops:
Beep
End Sub

"Neil" wrote:

This topic has been posted before, but no one had an answer.
Copy and Paste in Word and Excel takes minutes! I usually am
copying from a website. Is there a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thrawn05

The problem is fundamentally Word. Copy/Paste has always been a two step
keyboard shortcut task. Your solution is not very good when copying lots of
snippets of text off the internet, and Word will STILL try to access the
internet (although it doesn't slow down the computer, it is still very
worrying).

Using Notepad in between is faster then having to constantly refer to the
paste special dialog box. Unless of course you can provide me with a
Keyboard shortcut, right?