frank

Default Error Message

Continuing to get error message "microsoft word has
encounter a problem and needs to close.

After closing, get message word automattically saved
changes to the normal document template. Do you want to
load.

Having all kinds of problems getting to word. I have xp.
Gordon

frank wrote:
Continuing to get error message "microsoft word has
encounter a problem and needs to close.

After closing, get message word automattically saved
changes to the normal document template. Do you want to
load.

Having all kinds of problems getting to word. I have xp.

Close Word, and search for a file called normal.dot and delete it. Word
will rebuild it on next start up.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Do not *ever* delete Normal.dot.

Why ever not? I have done so many times - the only time there is a
problem is if you have customised it as you lose all the customisation.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Doug Robbins

Deleting your own is fine; I would caution against deleting anybody else's
or advising anybody else to delete it for exactly the reason that you
mention.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Gordon" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Do not *ever* delete Normal.dot.

Why ever not? I have done so many times - the only time there is a problem
is if you have customised it as you lose all the customisation.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

TF

You are a Director of an IT support company and you recommended deleting
normal.dot and you don't know why that is wrong? No wonder IT support has
such a bad name.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: Why ever not? I have done so many times - the only time there is a
: problem is if you have customised it as you lose all the customisation.
:
:
: --
: Interim Systems and Management Accounting
: Gordon Burgess-Parker
: Director
: www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

TF wrote:
You are a Director of an IT support company and you recommended
deleting normal.dot and you don't know why that is wrong? No wonder
IT support has such a bad name.

certainly up to and including Office 2000 deleting the normal.dot file was
the standard answer to Word access problems.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

TF

Gordon

It has been standard practice to rename normal.dot as normal.old or
normal.bad since the year dot. The majority of inexperienced users are going
to have saved all their custom macros, AutoText, Toolbars, etc., in
normal.dot. In one deletion, they lose possibly hours of work.

Renaming normal.dot ensures that all customisations (stored in their old
normal.dot) can be recovered using Organiser.

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message
: TF wrote:
: You are a Director of an IT support company and you recommended
: deleting normal.dot and you don't know why that is wrong? No wonder
: IT support has such a bad name.
:
: certainly up to and including Office 2000 deleting the normal.dot file was
: the standard answer to Word access problems.
:
: --
: Interim Systems and Management Accounting
: Gordon Burgess-Parker
: Director
: www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
:
:

Gordon

TF wrote:
Gordon

It has been standard practice to rename normal.dot as normal.old or
normal.bad since the year dot. The majority of inexperienced users
are going to have saved all their custom macros, AutoText, Toolbars,
etc., in normal.dot. In one deletion, they lose possibly hours of
work.

Renaming normal.dot ensures that all customisations (stored in their
old normal.dot) can be recovered using Organiser.

yes I know that all the customisation is lost - in the circles I inhabited,
deleting WAS the standard answer. There are plenty of references to it (some
even by MVPs!) on Google.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Doug Robbins

Probably with a follow up admonition from Suzanne.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Gordon" wrote in message
TF wrote:
Gordon

It has been standard practice to rename normal.dot as normal.old or
normal.bad since the year dot. The majority of inexperienced users
are going to have saved all their custom macros, AutoText, Toolbars,
etc., in normal.dot. In one deletion, they lose possibly hours of
work.

Renaming normal.dot ensures that all customisations (stored in their
old normal.dot) can be recovered using Organiser.

yes I know that all the customisation is lost - in the circles I
inhabited, deleting WAS the standard answer. There are plenty of
references to it (some even by MVPs!) on Google.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

And the worst-case scenario is that Normal.dot wasn't the problem at all, so
all the customizations have been lost with no benefit. Although there are
some customizations that can't be retrieved via the Organizer, there are
other ways of retrieving them provided Normal.dot has been renamed, and of
course if it proves that renaming Normal.dot doesn't solve the problem, it
can be renamed back to Normal.dot without loss.

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
Probably with a follow up admonition from Suzanne.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Gordon" wrote in message
TF wrote:
Gordon

It has been standard practice to rename normal.dot as normal.old or
normal.bad since the year dot. The majority of inexperienced users
are going to have saved all their custom macros, AutoText, Toolbars,
etc., in normal.dot. In one deletion, they lose possibly hours of
work.

Renaming normal.dot ensures that all customisations (stored in their
old normal.dot) can be recovered using Organiser.

yes I know that all the customisation is lost - in the circles I
inhabited, deleting WAS the standard answer. There are plenty of
references to it (some even by MVPs!) on Google.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

But not everyone who works for an IT firm is involved in IT, just as not
everyone who works at Ford Motor Company is engaged in making cars.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

How do you get "IT" out of "Interim Systems and Management
Accounting"?

www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
quote
GBP Computing Ltd
Your One-Stop Small Business Support Service in and around North
Staffordshire and the Peak District. Book-keeping, Management
Accounting and IT Support Services for small businesses
/quote

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.2.4
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

Doug Robbins

Not just an employee, a Director.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But not everyone who works for an IT firm is involved in IT, just as not
everyone who works at Ford Motor Company is engaged in making cars.

so
all may benefit.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
Suzanne S. Barnhill shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

How do you get "IT" out of "Interim Systems and Management
Accounting"?

www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
quote
GBP Computing Ltd
Your One-Stop Small Business Support Service in and around North
Staffordshire and the Peak District. Book-keeping, Management
Accounting and IT Support Services for small businesses
/quote

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.2.4
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
Please don't thank me in advance. Thank me afterwards if it works or
hit me in the face if it doesn't. ;-)

I gather that directors are more hands-on in UK companies, but in the U.S.,
directors may know less about the firm's nitty-gritty business than the
front-office receptionist.

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
Not just an employee, a Director.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But not everyone who works for an IT firm is involved in IT, just as not
everyone who works at Ford Motor Company is engaged in making cars.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.