Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dyson

Default Index & links within a Word doc

Hi, this is a strange one - hope someone can help )

I've just opened a document that I haven't used in about 3 years (haven't
used anything other than basic Word features in that time either). The items
on the top index are somehow linked to the sub-indexes but I cannot work out
how - and definitely can't remember what I did 3 yrs ago!! The file has a
load of bookmarks, but I don't think it's hyperlinks, as they behave
differently.
If I right-click on one of the items, and toggle field codes, it shows {{
PRIVATE HREF="#EXPERIENCE"} MACROBUTTON HTMLRESANCHOR
That kind of suggests I've used some html tags and codes, but I can't work
out how to display/edit them now!!
Can someone please point me in the right direction ... hopefully it will all
come flooding back to me if I get a start!!
Many thanks,
Dyson
--
Dyson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

PRIVATE fields generally show up when you import documents from another
format (such as WordPerfect); they serve no purpose other than to enable you
to convert back again. MACROBUTTON means that clicking the field actually
runs a macro (which is presumably how the jump happens) ... so check your
macro code.

"Dyson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dyson

Further investigation ... the doc seems to be mixed between hyperlinks that
tell you to Ctrl + Click to activate, and which bring up the hyperlink
options on right-clicking, and the afore-mentioned "field code" ones, which
go straight to the link on clicking.
I'm Confused!
Note - it's possible this doc was edited over time in different versions of
Word - one of them would be XP; I'm now using 2003, but don't think any
editing has been done in that version - don't know if that has anything to do
with it??
--
Dyson

"Dyson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dyson

Thanks for your replies, Jezebel & Suzanne...

The doc has definitely only ever been in MS Word - though probably Word
2000, XP, and possibly 97. The only conclusion I can come up with is it
depends what version I did things in - the most recent links all want a Ctrl
+ Click, turn purple once it's activated and the text is editable; the older
links work on double-clicking, stay blue after use, and I can't edit the text
for the link.

The other strange thing is there are no macros - I've opened up the VB
editor, and there's nothing there!

At this rate, looks as though I might have to just delete all bookmarks,
start with a clean slate and re-add them ...
Guess it must just be some compatibility issues between Word versions?
Thanks & regards,
--
Dyson

"Dyson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

No, it's nothing to do with different versions of Word. Perhaps at some
stage you did a SaveAs and converted the document to something else. Word
won't otherwise insert fields of any kind; and it never inserts macrobutton
fields on its own account. *Someone* did that. If not you, then someone
else.

"Dyson" wrote in message
Hi, this is a strange one - hope someone can help )

I've just opened a document that I haven't used in about 3 years
(haven't
used anything other than basic Word features in that time either). The
items
on the top index are somehow linked to the sub-indexes but I cannot
work
out
how - and definitely can't remember what I did 3 yrs ago!! The file has
load of bookmarks, but I don't think it's hyperlinks, as they behave
differently.
If I right-click on one of the items, and toggle field codes, it shows
{{
PRIVATE HREF="#EXPERIENCE"} MACROBUTTON HTMLRESANCHOR
That kind of suggests I've used some html tags and codes, but I can't
work
out how to display/edit them now!!
Can someone please point me in the right direction ... hopefully it
will
all
come flooding back to me if I get a start!!
Many thanks,
Dyson
--
Dyson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

The first set of links you describe sound like it may be a Table of
Contents.

Might you have pasted text from a converted file into this at some time in
the past? These are not field codes that Word is going to generate on its
own. The Ctrl-Click thing is simply a difference in how Word responds to
hyperlinks in later versions. (There is an option to set it to a simple
click.)
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Dyson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

An internet search suggests these fields may have been created by using
something called "Internet Assistant for Word" - a tool used to create HTML
web pages from Word documents in some long-dead version of Word. Does that
ring any bells with you?

--
Enjoy,
Tony