jeamsu

Default How do I remove US english from the spell check?

I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so that if I type
say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as a correct word. It
should give me 'colour' as the correct spelling.
Graham Mayor

The default language for Word is that set in Windows regional settings.
Word will only spell check using the language defined for the text - see
tools language set language (set to UK English or whatever) and uncheck
the box 'Detect language automatically'.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so that if
I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as a correct
word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct spelling.

Ant

Graham,
For other languages you are right, but for English English for England this
is not correct. You can not remove the US English for America setting.
Antony
PS I would dearly love this bug to be fixed.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so that if
I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as a correct
word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct spelling.

Graham Mayor

I have already told you earlier in the thread how to stop Word from checking
with US spellings.
To Remove the US regional settings
Control panel regional and language options languages details -
select UK and delete US. It will be removed next time you reboot.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as a
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct spelling.

Ant

I do not have, and for a long time have not had, US in my regional settings.
As explained in http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm
"You'll also still have problems with the document reverting back to the
"bad" language while editing. There is no way to get rid of this problem in
an existing file, short of recreating the file."
So it is not just one unlucky user with this problem.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as a
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct spelling.

Any time you open a document in which a different language is used, or when
you paste in text from such a document, you will be using the proofing tools
for that language. When you paste in text, the language at the insertion
point is the language of the pasted selection; if you continue typing at
that point without changing the language, you will be using those proofing
tools.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as a
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct spelling.

Ant

Yes. Which is fine if the language is Chinese but wrong if the language is a
variant of the rest of the document.
But my real problem is that if I open Word and type the word Color it does
not mark it as a bad spelling. Even after having followed every instruction
to remove US from regional and Office settings. If someone could show me how
to work around that 'bad' behaviour I could accept that pasted text is not
checked in the language of the rest of the document. It's not what I want
though of course.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as a
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct spelling.

When you select the word "color" and go to Tools | Language | Set Language,
is English (U.K.) selected? If so, then that spelling is accepted by the UK
English proofing tools. If you want to disallow this spelling, you can
exclude it. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

FWIW, if I type "color" here and then select the word and apply "English
(U.K.)" as the language, it is marked as misspelled. Perhaps "color" has
been added to your Custom.dic?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Any time you open a document in which a different language is used, or

when
you paste in text from such a document, you will be using the proofing

tools
for that language. When you paste in text, the language at the insertion
point is the language of the pasted selection; if you continue typing at
that point without changing the language, you will be using those

proofing
tools.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so

that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as

correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct

spelling.

Ant

Yes, English (U.K.) is selected and so is English (U.S.).
Below that is a double line and below that many other languages that are not
selected.
In fact, what do you mean by selected? Both UK and US have an icon on the
left with ABC and tick. Only UK has a dark grey background.

I tried 'specialize' and 'defense' too and it told me that both were spelled
correctly.
custom.dic contains 92 words, none of them color.
I appreciate your help but get very frustrated that a simple spelling check
does not work.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word, so

that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept it as

correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct

spelling.

Tony Jollans

The languages which show above the line are the ones you have enabled.

Close all Office applications.

Go to Start All Programs Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Tools
Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings

Disable US English (and enable/disable any other languages you want) on the
Enabled Language tab.

You should see the results next time you use Word.
--
Enjoy,
Tony

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word,

so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept

it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct

spelling.

As in any other dropdown list, the listing with a dark background is the one
that is "selected."

FWIW, if I type "specialize" and "defense" and format them as UK English,
"defense" is marked incorrect, but "specialize" is not, which I believe
reflects current UK usage (either -ise or -ize permitted). I suppose it
would not improve my case to point out that -ize and -or are etymologically
more sound?

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word,

so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept

it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct

spelling.

Ant

Thank you for your help Tony but as I stated above I have done that. I did
it about a year ago and it still doesn't work. I think this thread contains
all the suggestions I have tried. If you have any other ideas I would love
to try them. I expect it is a registry edit or a file delete.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word,

so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept

it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct
spelling.

Ant

The grey highlight meaning selected is what I suspected. As there is
something which I don't understand here, I just thought I would provide the
information about the double line and the icons (which don't appear in any
other dropdown list) in case that would indicate to you what I am doing wrong.
Current UK usage I would suspect is defined by dictionary definition rather
than the streets of London. If I receive a CV with the word specialize in
it, I instantly know that the candidate is either 500 years old, or learnt
English outside England. The majority of the people I converse with would
consider specialize as the wrong spelling which is all I am interested in
using a spelling check for. Your reply is starting to hint that I, the
customer and user, am wrong, which is where I say thank you, Word doesn't
work, and duck out. If you have any other ideas how I can get Word to mark
color as wrongly spelt I am very interested.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS word,

so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept

it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct
spelling.

Ant

There are two salient points here. Firstly you are implying that I have
accidentally somehow applied English (U.S.) to the new document so that I get
both US and UK English. I have opened a new document and that is the
situation. Is there a way that I can get a new document to open in that
state?

Secondly, and probably more importantly, your regional settings are US. I
am 100% convinced that all you are describing would work if my home settings
were US and not UK. I don't believe Word has been tested with UK regional
settings.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS

word,
so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not accept

it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the correct
spelling.

Tony Jollans

I am in the UK. My regional settings are UK. I don't have the problems you
seem to have. I do, however, agree with you that most software (MS and
other) is US-centric.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Any time you open a document in which a different language is

used,
or
when
you paste in text from such a document, you will be using the
proofing
tools
for that language. When you paste in text, the language at the
insertion
point is the language of the pasted selection; if you continue
typing at
that point without changing the language, you will be using

those
proofing
tools.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS

word,
so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not

accept
it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the

correct
spelling.

Tony Jollans

Specialize is correct UK English spelling - this is fact, not opinion. You
can't fault language settings on your PC for the fact that they don't
highlight correct spellings as being in error.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS

word,
so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not

accept
it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the

correct
spelling.

Ant

Tony, I am excited to hear that it is possible! Are you using Word 2003?
Inspired by this thread I have just installed OpenOffice and it works
straight away (marks color as badly spelled.) I've opened a single (Word)
document that I know contains drawings and art and tables and it opened
perfectly. I think I may have found the *easy* solution.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS
word,
so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not

accept
it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the

correct
spelling.

Tony Jollans

Yes I am using Word 2003 - I actually have multiple languages enabled but
still have UK English as my default and it works just fine.

If you want to remove all other languages you need to do it in Regional
Settings (for Windows) and in Office Language Tools (for Office). You may
still have an issue if you have text explicitly marked as US English and you
may find you have US English set as the language in Normal style (depending
on what you have already tried).

I suspect you can uninstall Office support for other languages via Control
Panel Add/Remove programs so that Word never has anything except UK
English available.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my

MS
word,
so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will

not
accept
it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the

correct
spelling.

Ant

Ok, so specialize is correct, just not common in the field in which I work.
I can understand that Word can't tell the difference. I chose that as an
example of a word that Word does not tell me is wrongly spelt, it was a bad
example. I'll stick to color. In fact, no. I have just discovered that
OpenOffice has a database that will also open dBase files so I am happy as
Larry with my new Office suite. Thank you all for your help.

jeamsu wrote:
I wish to remove the us english settings from my MS

word,
so
that
if I type say 'color' by mistake that it will not

accept
it as
correct word. It should give me 'colour' as the

correct
spelling.

With "color," however, you are on shakier ground, because in my copy of Word
2003, it *is* marked as misspelled in UK English. I assume you have checked
your Custom.dic to make sure it hasn't been added inadvertently. As for
"specialize," I repeat that it can be added to an exclusion dictionary; I
admit that this is a lot of trouble if you have many words to add, but it
can be done.

I am curious as to why your UK English lexicon (in the same version of Word)
differs from mine. But are you aware that there is a separate NG devoted
entirely to spelling and grammar issues? If you post your concerns in
microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar, perhaps you will find more
knowledgeable users who can help you to a solution.