Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Xi Shi Xi Shi is offline

Default How to insert the section symbol before the title number?

my thesis is requried the section title be like as following:

§3.1 Introduction of ....

In "Customize Outline Numbered List", although I can insert any symbol
that can be inputted via the keyboard, I can't insert symbol like §, and
'paste' command can't be used here.
Then how?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You should be able to use the keyboard shortcut Control-V, instead of the
menu Edit | Paste, to paste the symbol into that field in front of the
number. That frequently works in dialogs where Edit | Paste is grayed out.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Xi Shi Xi Shi is offline

Thank you! Every ways had been tried! I even tried to use shortcut of
inserting special symbol, while it still did no effects.

On 11/4/06 5:05 PM, "Xi Shi" wrote:

my thesis is requried the section title be like as following:

§3.1 Introduction of ....

In "Customize Outline Numbered List", although I can insert any symbol
that can be inputted via the keyboard, I can't insert symbol like §, and
'paste' command can't be used here.
Then how?
Thanks!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Xi Shi,

I'm not sure if you are saying that fixed it or not--but since Suzanne gave
the same tip, I'm guessing not. So let me make sure there was no
miscommunication:

Insert the § symbol into any word doc.
Copy it to the clipboard.
Bring up the customize numbering dialog.
Put the cursor in front of everything else in the number format box.
Use control-v to paste the symbol into the dialog.
Repeat for each level of numbering that you need § to prefix.

It works on my machine, and Suzanne's. If it doesn't work on yours, report
which step fails.

On 11/4/06 5:05 PM, "Xi Shi" wrote:

my thesis is requried the section title be like as following:

§3.1 Introduction of ....

In "Customize Outline Numbered List", although I can insert any symbol
that can be inputted via the keyboard, I can't insert symbol like §, and
'paste' command can't be used here.
Then how?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes. It works for me.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+V will paste into any dialog, including this one.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Xi Shi" wrote in message
my thesis is requried the section title be like as following:

§3.1 Introduction of ....

In "Customize Outline Numbered List", although I can insert any

symbol
that can be inputted via the keyboard, I can't insert symbol like §,

and
'paste' command can't be used here.
Then how?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Xi Shi Xi Shi is offline

in the step of "Ctr+V",it does no effect.
do you have a e-mail? Can I send part of my thesis to you? or you may insert
for me.

On 11/4/06 5:05 PM, "Xi Shi" wrote:

my thesis is requried the section title be like as following:

§3.1 Introduction of ....

In "Customize Outline Numbered List", although I can insert any symbol
that can be inputted via the keyboard, I can't insert symbol like §, and
'paste' command can't be used here.
Then how?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Open Tools | Customize. Click on Keyboard... Select the Edit category; in
the Commands list, scroll down to EditPaste and select it. Is Ctrl+V listed
as one of the "Current keys"?