Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lhall33950 lhall33950 is offline

Default Horizontal ruler keeps disappearing

I have Word 2003. My horizontal ruler (located beneath the toolbars) keeps
disappearing from documents with no rhyme or reason. I got so frustrated that
I finally added the "View Ruler" command to my custom toolbar. Can you tell
me why this is happening and how to make it stop (without having to use the
view ruler command)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?bGhhbGwzMzk1MA==?=,

I have Word 2003. My horizontal ruler (located beneath the toolbars) keeps
disappearing from documents with no rhyme or reason. I got so frustrated that
I finally added the "View Ruler" command to my custom toolbar. Can you tell
me why this is happening and how to make it stop (without having to use the
view ruler command)?

My best guess would be you have some add-in tool installed that's doing this.
Any idea what kind of tools you may have installed, so that you can try shutting
them off, one-by-one?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lhall33950 lhall33950 is offline

Thank you for your reply. However, as I don't even know what an add-in tool
is I really don't think I've installed any and therefore doubt that's my
solution. Thanks for trying. Hopefully, someone else out there will recognize
my problem and respond.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?bGhhbGwzMzk1MA==?=,

I have Word 2003. My horizontal ruler (located beneath the toolbars) keeps
disappearing from documents with no rhyme or reason. I got so frustrated that
I finally added the "View Ruler" command to my custom toolbar. Can you tell
me why this is happening and how to make it stop (without having to use the
view ruler command)?

My best guess would be you have some add-in tool installed that's doing this.
Any idea what kind of tools you may have installed, so that you can try shutting
them off, one-by-one?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I had this problem and finally learned that it was a result of having the
ruler turned off in Print Preview. Every time I switched to Print Preview
and back, the next window I opened didn't have the ruler displayed. Like
you, I had finally, in desperation, added the View Ruler button to a
toolbar, but I no longer need it now that I added the ruler back to Print
Preview (even though I don't need it there and it takes up valuable space).

"lhall33950" wrote in message
I have Word 2003. My horizontal ruler (located beneath the toolbars) keeps
disappearing from documents with no rhyme or reason. I got so frustrated

that
I finally added the "View Ruler" command to my custom toolbar. Can you

tell
me why this is happening and how to make it stop (without having to use

the
view ruler command)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lhall33950 lhall33950 is offline

Suzanne, I think I love you! Thank you so much. First, you're absolutely
right, I have no idea why anyone would need the ruler on the print preview
screen and I'm sure I unknowingly must have switched the toggle "off" some
time. But since I never use it I would NEVER have tho't to check there. You
have solved my problem. Now I just have to remember what the solution is the
next time I inadvertently turn the ruler off (I'm sure it'll happen). Thanks
again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank Beth Melton for this one. I think she had to tell me this at least
three times before it finally "took."

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I had this problem and finally learned that it was a result of having

the
ruler turned off in Print Preview. Every time I switched to Print

Preview
and back, the next window I opened didn't have the ruler displayed. Like
you, I had finally, in desperation, added the View Ruler button to a
toolbar, but I no longer need it now that I added the ruler back to

Print
Preview (even though I don't need it there and it takes up valuable

space).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"lhall33950" wrote in message
I have Word 2003. My horizontal ruler (located beneath the toolbars)

keeps
disappearing from documents with no rhyme or reason. I got so

frustrated
that
I finally added the "View Ruler" command to my custom toolbar. Can you

tell
me why this is happening and how to make it stop (without having to

use
the
view ruler command)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

LOL Isn't there a discussion about retaining odd bits of info? Your ruler
display preference in Print Preview one of those odd things I seem to
remember. g

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I had this problem and finally learned that it was a result of having

the
ruler turned off in Print Preview. Every time I switched to Print

Preview
and back, the next window I opened didn't have the ruler displayed.
Like
you, I had finally, in desperation, added the View Ruler button to a
toolbar, but I no longer need it now that I added the ruler back to

Print
Preview (even though I don't need it there and it takes up valuable

space).

jenniw333 jenniw333 is offline
Junior Member

Hi Suzanne, I hope you get this. You are really a life saver. I was so frustrated that my ruler in PPT kept disappearing despite the fact that I had the 'view ruler' button ticked. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
From
Jenni Wright

[quote=Suzanne S. Barnhill;252084]I had this problem and finally learned that it was a result of having the
ruler turned off in Print Preview. Every time I switched to Print Preview
and back, the next window I opened didn't have the ruler displayed. Like
you, I had finally, in desperation, added the View Ruler button to a
toolbar, but I no longer need it now that I added the ruler back to Print
Preview (even though I don't need it there and it takes up valuable space).

disappearing ruler Elizabeth Microsoft Word Help 1 October 11th 06 06:12 AM
My horizontal ruler in Word keeps disappearing eb Microsoft Word Help 2 August 24th 06 02:46 PM
Horizontal Ruler Marty Page Layout 5 March 17th 06 08:18 PM
Reversed horizontal ruler? theillknight Microsoft Word Help 1 March 2nd 06 10:33 AM
horizontal ruler Stupid Word User Microsoft Word Help 2 August 25th 05 07:44 PM