Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
fig000 fig000 is offline

Default Newbie header/section/page number questions

Hi,

I'm not new to word but rarely have the opportunity to get into
formatting issues.

I've looked at a number of articles about this. Basically it's a
simple problem, I'm sure.

I'm trying to create a document with a title page and the rest of
the document is simply pages (it's a novel). I want to create a
header
on all the pages but the title page and I need to have the page
numbers start at 1 on the first non-title page (the second page in
the
document).

I've been able to create a second continuous section ( for the
non-
title pages and create a header that does not appear on the title
page. All well and good.

When I try to insert a page number in the second section (all the
non-title pages), no matter what I try, the page number on the first
non-title page is greater than 1. I tried formatting the page number
by experimenting with various start numbers from one to 2.

The best I can do is to get the page number on the second page to
start with 2; it seems to be continuing from the first section
(page).
I've turned off link to previous on the second section header.

Doing web searches has not gotten me any answers. Any help would
be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Fig000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

Hi fig000,

You need to insert a 'Next page' Section break at the end of your Title page(s). Then, on page 2, unlink the header and footer from
the previous Section, insert the page number field and format the page number to start at 1.

Note that, depending on how you've set the document up, it's layout may be formatted to have a different first page and different
odd & even pages. If that's the case, you'll probably need to ensure the 2nd Section doesn't have a different first page and, if
it's got different odd & even pages layout that it's inherited from the previous Section and you:
.. want to keep that arrangement, then you'll need to unlink both the odd & even page headers and footers from the previous Section;
.. don't want to keep that arrangement, then change the 2nd Section's layout to remove the different odd & even pages attribute.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"fig000" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For this specific case (and no other), enable "Different first page" on the
Layout tab of Page Setup. Omit the PAGE field from the First Page
Header/Footer, inserting it only in the primary Header/Footer that appears
on successive pages. Then use Format Page Number to start numbering at 0.

"fig000" wrote in message
[...]

More page number and TOC questions Vrin Microsoft Word Help 1 January 5th 07 10:24 PM
why does page number revert to earlier number after section chang. owend Page Layout 3 September 18th 06 08:22 AM
Newbie Questions Martin Page Layout 4 February 2nd 06 06:08 PM
Page Number in Header gets lost after section break Dee Microsoft Word Help 1 April 16th 05 02:16 AM
Changing Section Number In Header Jerry Howell Page Layout 3 December 10th 04 03:33 AM